Transaxles......PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me!!!

I recently bought a sand rail. The sand rail was supposedly built from a 1964? Beetle. The engine that came with the sand rail supposedly "spun a bearing." Due to my recent purchase, my friend gave me 3 engines and 3 trans axles he had in his barn.

Do to the orginal engine spinning a bearing and also only being single-port, I'm thinking I want to put one of the engines I received from my friend on my new sand rail. The one I want to put on there has an engine code starting with AM. In my research, an engine with this code is a 1600 cc engine (probably 1971 era engine) never supplied in new cars and was only sold over the counter:

So, I've picked the engine I want to use but I need to pick a transaxle that will mate with the engine and also must mate with my

1964 frame on the sand rail (I can modify mounts if necessary). I'm not having any luck in identifying the transaxles I have. I tried to do some research on the internet and this is what I found concerning transaxle codes:

The transaxles I have available to me are as follows:

1.) The original 1964 transaxle that came with the sand rail. I'm not sure I want to use this but I will if I have to. I don't know if the 1971 era engine will bolt to this transaxle or not. If it will, will I have problems using a 1600cc engine on a transaxle meant for a 1200cc? 2.) Transaxle code AH - it's not in that great of shape. It's missing the cone. Maybe I'm not reading the chart correctly of the above website but I think it is saying that this transaxle will mount up with a 1500cc IRS from 1969 or a 1600cc with IRS. Is this correct? 3.) Transaxle code AT - I have two of these. In good shape. I would like to use one of these with my engine.

Being that my sand rail is built off a 1964 Beetle, it is a swing-axle How can I tell if the transaxles I received from my friend are swing-axle or IRS? What are the distinguishing features between the two (i.e. bolt patterns etc.)? Are all Beetles manufactured after 1969 built with IRS? Can you use an IRS transaxle in a swing axle car? If so, what modifications need to be done.

What would YOU do given the above parts? Is it possible to make a running vehicle from these parts? How would you put these parts together to make a running vehicle? Thank you in advance. -Jim

Reply to
philjimpot

Grind out the 64 tranny bell housing to allow for 12 volt flywheel,get a 6 volt to 12 volt starter bushing and your set to go.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Swingaxles boxes have the axles attached. IRS has a CV joint on each side.

AT and AH are IRS.

more info.

As Mario said, you can grind out the '64 bellhousing and keep the 12V flywheel and starter and make the car 12V.

Read the 6V/12V Conversion article on my web site. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I greatly appreciate the info. Now I can clearly see what it is I need to do and get going on this project. Thanks guys!!!

Reply to
philjimpot