Transmisison mounts... Whats it going to take?

Hey guys, Long time lurker, normally can figure things out myself.. and im sure i can figure this out just fine, but I need to replace all my transmission mounts. What do i have to do? Can this be done without pulling the entire Transmission?? (not sure about the mount on the nose cone although i know its bad) Also, What do you reccomend? Stock rubber mounts or the Urethane ones?? Instructions on how to change the mounts would be helpful.. I do hate taking the engine out of the car though.. i think my type 3 with fuel injeciton was easier to take out. my t4 powered bus was a little tricky too but at least they were fairly flat.. and i didnt have to raise the vehicle so much.

Thanks in advance, Jason 71 Superbeetle.

Reply to
applefr3ak

See :

pics of the rear mount removal. You may be able to pull the box back far enough to get the front mount; if not, the CV joints come off quick enough.

Jan has a neat page on engine removal tips, if you've forgotten how :

This is a good time to replace the starter bush and T.O. bearing too.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Step 1 - Remove the engine. Yeah, I know, it sucks ;)

Yes you can do the job without pulling the entire transaxle assembly out of the car...but keep reading.....

I personally like the rubber mounts as they tend to fit better and do not transmit as much noise into the vehicle. See

they have the nice rubber mounts in stock, cheep too.

Once the engine is out of the way you can remove the two main frame horn bolts from the rear of the car. That will loosen up the carrier for the rear transaxle mounts. Changing the rear mounts at this point is a piece of cake, you can use a block of wood and a jack or jack stand to support the transaxle while you do the rear mounts. The front mount, to change it you'll probably have to disconnect the shifter(I did...1974 was a bit different on the nosecone than 71 however..) and pull the whole thing back far enough to slip the front mount out and put the new one in place. It is a bit of a squeeze, at least it was for me. But DO IT now because changing that mount with the engine in the car is a royal pain in the ass. I found that out the hard way, change it with the engine out while the opportunity presents itself.

Check your crankshaft endplay while the engine is on the ground and fix if needed, and if you end up pulling the flywheel off to re-set that you should take a hard look at the clutch since you're there..if its even slightly marginal, change it. It beats pulling the engine a

2nd time.......

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Thanks Jim, That helps and its good to know i dont have to take the tranny completely out, and i had never heard of taking the engine out sideways Thats kind of interesting and i may try it.. and i have never used a piece of wood to slide on thats a good idea too, but then again all my other engines were flat and not so tall to get out.

Jas> applefr3ak wrote:

ttp://

applefr3ak