Transmission Help

This ought to get almost as many responses as the Stupid Driver did.

My 69 drives great with one exception. Going into second gear I have to wait for the sweet spot so it doesn't grind. No other problems to speak of. Doesn't pop out in any gear when breaking with the engine. I am tempted to open it up and see what's inside the transmission to see if I can fix it. I have never opened a transmission before. Seeing how basic bugs are can the transmission be as easy to fix. Someone once told me not to try to do a headliner yourself but a buddy and I did it with his car and it turned out beautifully. I am wondering if this isn't the FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN that keeps people from fixing their own transmissions. What do you all think? Am I nuts? Doug

Reply to
DougnKaren

Short answer: Nuts

You can not get inside the tranny gears without removing the diff and the main pinion bearing (nut). Then, with special tool you have to "split the case".

Get a spare tranny to put in *before* you attempt this.

To get a good appreciation of what's involved, see this excellent site:

P.S. Make sure your clutch isn't dragging, even a little bit: At idle, clutch pedal to floor, very very slowly engage Reverse. If it grinds at all, clutch may be dragging.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

LOL Not a chance in H*** I am going to attempt that. I can't believe whoever fixes those up sells them so cheap. LOL Lucky Us!

Reply to
DougnKaren

Hi.What keeps most people out of tranny work is the need for special tools and fixtures.As with anything mechanical,there is nothing magical ,complicated yes and finding parts and seals tough.Rebuilts from good shops are a good deal.In your case it only sounds like a worn syncro.Shift slower or double clutch and your tranny should last long time.Check for leaks and oil level if you haven't yet.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

I just replaced my fluid the other day. No leaks but it looked nasty. The new stuff didn't make a difference in the shifting but cold weather seems to help. When I first start down the road on a cold day it shift smoother. That doesn't last long though. I have no problem with it like that but I am teaching my daughter to drive now and it would have been nice to be able to teach her without a special maneuver for 2nd gear. I guess she has watched to much of the fast and the furious and things you need to shift at the speed of light. So is slowly learning not to grind 2nd gear. Guess she'll just have to learn more than the average stick shift learner. When I showed her how to shift without using the clutch she just couldn't understand that. LOL Thanks for the help. I'll chock it up as a probable syncro and just teach her to wait for the sweet spot. Doug

Reply to
DougnKaren

Did we ever determine just exactly how much free play you have on the clutch at the top of the stroke? Shouldn't be any more'n about half an inch, all things working properly. If more than this, or if you want to see if it halps anyway, just take up one or two turns on the wing nut at back end of the cable on the bell housing mount bracket and see if that helps. Watch you are still getting full engagement of the clutch without slippage after this. It's amazing how much differenece one turn can make at the critical point.

Reply to
Oldbie