Transmission oil GL-5

I'm getting ready to cahnge the transmission oil in my Ghia. I have been reading the newsgroup archives about types of oil and noticed that most articles say to stay away from GL-5 rated oil. GL-5 oil is what is available at the service station where I am having the oil changed.

My question is: My VW manual states to use GL-5 oil. It doesn't even mention GL-4 or any other oil. Can I assume that GL-5 is OK fo a 1970 manual transmission?

Reply to
Brian Turner

On 18 Nov 2003 04:37:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net (Brian Turner) shared the following:

Come over to the dark side...

heh... been waiting to use that picture again...)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
Braukuche

...any Napa auto parts store can order it for ya and have it there the next day generallly. Sta-lube brannd comes in a quart size, a handy gallon size, or a 5 gallon bucket. For some moronic reason, however, last I checked it was cheaper to buy 5 one gallon containers than it was to bbuy one 5 gallon bucket. =-/

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Your Ghia manual says GL5 should be used? In a 1970 transmission?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but GL5 wasn't even INVENTED yet in 1970!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

As posted once before, here is a copy of an e-mail I got from Castrol concerning the GL-4/GL-5 conundrum.

API GL-5 gear oil designates service of hypoid and other types of gears commonly found in rear axles. A GL-4 oil may be employed in certain manual transmissions.

These differences are mainly distinguished by the level of active additives employed in the product. Different applications require different additive levels and different component materials can be affected by the levels of additives present in the lubricant.

Having said that GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils are not compatible and manufacturer's recommendations should be adhered to. They cannot meet the same specifications and the product performance and tests are different.

Typically, a GL-5 gear oil will have about 2 times the active additive level of a GL-4 product. This additional additive can cause problems with yellow metals like brass or bronze.

Castrol Syntorq LT is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. This product is manufactured specifically for GM and Chrysler and is currently available through their dealerships.

Castrol Consumer Relations.

Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug

Thanks for the input. I am going to stop at the service station tonight and see what grade they are planning to use. If it's not GL-4, I guess I'll just have to order some oil and shange it myself.

Reply to
Brian Turner

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. When the type 3 automatic transmission came out in mid 68 it called for GL-5 in the final drive.

But all the VW manual 4-speeds take GL-4.

-

Jim Adney

snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net (Brian Turner) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Do yourself and your bug a big favor and get some Amsoil gear lube. This stuff is great and Your bug will love you for it.

You pay more for it but the return is worth it.

Reply to
TerryB

I stand corrected. I doubled checked my statement. My glovebox VW manaul does not state any grade of oil. My Haynes manual says to use API GL-5 SAE 75W90W or 80W90W Hypoid gear oil.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Has anyone actuall seen the devastation caused by using GL-5 oil in a VW transmission? How quickly can it begin to cause damage?

Reply to
Brian Turner

On 21 Nov 2003 13:16:24 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@centurytel.net (Brian Turner) shared the following:

GL5 is your BEST FRIEND and will never cause damage.

*that* is a face you can trust. :-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

You are in another universe, Shaggie. Relevance. Get it?

Reply to
jjs

Relevance? Keeps his braces from rusting, right? :o)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

...............He treats them with that GL5 gear oil which would also get rid of the bad breath from some of the crappy food that he eats...........lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

You still got your Halloween bands on? C'mon, now.

When do you get em off? I've got about 3 more weeks! :-D

-Rob

travis wrote:

Reply to
Rob

Now, don't get me wrong. I realy apreciate Shaggys pressence here, me think he's a funny red-neck... :0) It is a tad strange reading Travis's memorandums, and trying to remember he speaks "funny", I've only been to the "South" once, and I must admit I had a hard time not cracking up at times!!! No hard feelings what so ever Travis! Just a broaaaad accent, or more correctly : dialect....(not shure of the spelling on that..).

One can read things on the net in the best Queens English(in ones mind), although the author wrote it in the deeeep South accent, rebel flag and all..!

You all be good now!

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Rob...you really should put a warning on a link like that.....LOL....BTW i got my braces off fifteen years ago...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:55:38 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xxx (jjs) shared the following:

Yes, they posted asking if it was ok to run with GL5 so I posted a picture of me holding some GL5 and said "Come over to the dark side" like I was inviting them to go with GL5 like I did. My post was relevant. Glad I could clear that up for you! :-D

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:50:43 -0800, Rob shared the following:

I've got more than a year left. :-/ Damn, you're almost as ugly as I am. :-)