treasure cove found

Today I met a guy who has been in VWs as long as anyone I have met before. He invited me to come out and look at his collection. Wow, a bonanza. Thousands of parts, dozens of cars, tractors, and even a restored 49' Airstream 14' trailer coupled to a restored 52' Chevy six window pickup. Original 57 oval and 67 in rust free running condition. Restored 58 vw and newer ghia and many others. He had pictures of a Hubmuler he had owned for many years also but my favorite because of it's documents and story is a 69' Mercedes 4dr sedan, 6cyl gas that was purchased in Europe and driven on vacation, then shipped to the USA, parked in the garage and never driven again. It is perfect with less than 5000 miles on it. Factory plastic on front lower doors sills, sun visors, walnut trim windows and dash still looks clear and new. Paint looks new. It has seen no sunshine in over 30 years. What the hell is it worth? I would hate to guess. What do you guys think? I might try to buy the 57. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Go for it, Dennis! Invite me and Molly when you visit next or buy it. :) We will come down in the '58. We olde phartes love that stuff.

Let me guess - the owner has a junkyard. Am I right?

Best, John

Reply to
johnboy

No John, no junkyard at all. This is what makes him so unusual..... Everything is neat, organized and in good to great condition, inside well built buildings. It had more of a museum atmosphere. John, that Mercedes is something like you would see at a Barretts auction. In the trunk were all the documents and the two "extra" hood ornaments given with the new vehicle because in the late 60's they were being stolen and broken off by the anti-war crowd according to the original owner. It also had an antenna lock so it could not be raised and broken off. Many of the restored vehicles were in "like new" condition and the Mercedes was in "like new" condition without any restoration....Also there were restored farm tractors in new condition right down to the tires and valve stems. John Deere "B" and Farmall "H". Come down John and we will visit him. I plan on going down there soon again. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Misunderstanding. I thought he might own a junkyard. There's a guy here with a museum: many pole-barns full of classic cars, very clean and well-kept. He also owns a junkyard. In fact, the two richest people in this area both own junkyards.

Sounds like a plan!

Reply to
johnboy