Trouble fitting fan shroud on new T1 case

Guys,

This is probably a no brainer, but i have built a dozen or so motors over the years, and it has been a few years since i have last done it. I have the longblock completed, and began putting the rest together. I have done the type 4 oil cooler adaptation, using the Berg kit on the fan shroud as well ( i have done this a few other times as well). Anyway, i have lined up the thermostat rod correctly, and the fan housing slips down over the oil cooler and inside of the cylinder tin. BUT, it does not seem to rest flat on the top of the motor. If i put the side screw (bolt) on the fan shroud holding it to the cylinder tin, the other side raises up a little bit. I truly do not know what to make of this, for everything looks proper, but don't want to leave it this way. I would venture to say that the fan shroud actually seems like if it went down more in the middle, all would be well.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Reply to
vgonman

Do you have the correct generator stand? If not that could be holding the middle up.

Reply to
fixer33

=A0 Anyway, i have lined up the thermostat rod

--------------------- < Anyway, i have lined up the thermostat rod

As you look straight down on the cylinder head, you will see two holes that the thermostat connecting rod can pass through. I think that thermo rod goes through the hole that is closest to the crank case.

Take a close look all the way around the fan shroud at the base. Is it binding at some point? Does the generator or alternator rest evenly on its' pedastal? Gently lift the shroud and lower it again. Maybe it is hung up at the oil cooler area.

Reply to
Jim347a

Might take a while but try putting some grease on some prominent points that about where it is binding. Fit shroudt to the point where it binds, lift up to see where grease has adhered to shroud.

Reply to
John