trouble removing bearing seal

Hi,

Well the boys rear axle roller bearing exploded and the rear wheel froze. The car is a 70 bug type 1. I have disassembled the brake assembly and removed the axle and the front roller bearings that were destoyed.I cleaned up the scoring on the axle, but it seems impossible to remove the rear axle seal from its seat, and therefore remove the rear bearing. I can see the keeper ring that keeps the rear bearing in place behind the seal. I have tried everything I can think of, and the rear seal will not come out. Much of it is out in pieces but a metal ring (like a large thin washer, I think it was inside the seal) will not budge. How do you get this crazy thing out so I can remove the rear ball bearing?

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Robert Rutler

Pry bar of some sort, maybe a hefty screwdriver will work. It's not like a washer, more a slice of a cylinder shape. I don't think you can reach thru the bearing to punch it out from the other end but it might be worth trying.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
Robert Rutler

I used a prybar one of those flat wrecking bars that are made of spring steel that will pull nails and seperate a couple of 4X4's that are nailed together. I have gotten that bar behind that thin cylinder shape ring and then hit that bar with a 5lb hammer. That has disshaped the metal ring that was inside of the seal but it will not budge from its place. I mean it is acting like the ring is welded to the housing. I was wondering if there was another keeper ring or something that was preventing that ring from comming out? I have tried prying it out from different angles with no success and I think you are right that a long punch will not work unless some how I can get the bearing keeper ring out and then use a big socket to drive the bearing and what is left of that ring out together.

I guess what I am asking is, should that ring just come out or is there something special that might need to be done?

It seems from your response that that seal sould just slide out.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rutler

Yes, it should just slide out. I have the exploded view of the assy posted on my web site:

Looking at it, I wonder if the inner shaft spacer got stuck in the seal. Still, the thing should just pop out... Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Robert,

I hope you are not getting confused with the "circlip" see Item 5 on Jims pic.

Grahame from Aus

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Thanks for the feedback, but no it is not that circle clip. I can see that clip and am thinking now that I have worked out most all of the rubber from the seal, perhaps I can now get that clip out. Then drive out the bearing and ring together with a big socket and hammer. It is also not the outside spacer ring. That came right out with the axle.

This is strange that that seal will not come out. I have now mangled the metal ring that was once insede of the seal trying to get it to move. No success. Strainge. Perhaps I can get it to break and then "peal it out of its place.

Reply to
Robert Rutler