Trouble starting type 1 - 73 Super Beetle Conv.

I'm having difficulty trouble shooting this - any help is appreciated,

Cold start Push gas peddle once and release (to set auto choke) Car starts but quickly dies (car use to fire up first time) If repeated it will eventually start and runs fine.

Also, I've notice the dashpot is slighlty damaged. Would this influence a cold start?

I've tried lots of stuff already but can't seem to cure. Any suggestions welcomed.

Reply to
Mark

Dashpot has no influence. It's there to slow the closing of the throttle plate for emissions purposes.

It's possible that this is a flooding problem, now that warm weather is here. The flooding may occur right after the engine is shut off the previous time. Then, when you go to restart cold, the fuel is laying in the manifold and needs to be expelled before the engine will run properly.

Less likely, I think, is loss of ignition when the key is returned to "Run" from the "Start" position. Watch the OIL/GEN lights while starting. Oil may go out if oil pressure builds enough, but GEN should remain lit while cranking AND when the key is released to "Run" position.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

If I'm not mistaken, there's also a small vacuum diaphragm near the choke that opens the choke slightly when the engine starts. That could be leaking or stuck.

My 2 cents...

Scott S.

Reply to
compwrench

If I'm not mistaken, there's also a small vacuum diaphragm near the choke that opens the choke slightly when the engine starts. That could be leaking or stuck.

My 2 cents...

Scott S.

Reply to
compwrench

If I'm not mistaken, there's also a small vacuum diaphragm near the choke that opens the choke slightly when the engine starts. That could be leaking or stuck.

My 2 cents...

Scott S.

Reply to
compwrench

And the idea's so good... it was worth repeating too. ;)

Alvin in AZ ps- I've never done that, because Tin+Pico just won't ;) pps- shell accounts rule, anyone else using Tin?

Reply to
alvinj

Sorry! Google groups kept telling me it couldn't post due to an error, try again later. That's what I did! ;-)

Reply to
compwrench

Oh heck, didn't mean for you to apologise. :) GUI (website based) newsreaders pull that stuff all the time.

Anyone else using unix-based readers like Tin or Pan tho? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj