Troubleshooting my brake lights

I noticed my brake lights aren't working on my 70 standard bug. The brake warning light has had a bulb out for 15 or more years (I think I never replaced it because I wasn't sure how to get the little button out of the dash to get at the bulb.)

Anyhow, I checked the bulbs and used some emery cloth to clean the contacts in the housing and on the bulbs. I don't think they'd both go bad at the same time anyway.

I checked and actually replaced the fuse (8A white) in position #2 after cleaning the fuse holder contacts also.

Still not working. I suppose if one brake light switch on the dual MC went bad I wouldn't know it until the other went bad as well. So that could be two bad switches.

Or possibly there's a loose connection somewhere else.

Anyone (Speedy Jim?) have some ideas of how to go about troubleshooting this? I was planning on jumping the brake light switch wires to see if the lights go on next.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Yes, it's not uncommon for both switches to be bad.

There is a simplified diagram of the switch wiring on this page of my web site:

Easier than jumping at the switches is to find the plastic splice under the hood where the little harness from the switches comes out.

It's also possible that the connections *inside* the rubber boots on the switches are corroded.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hopefully it's just the connections. My oil pressure sending light connection needed a bit of cleaning recently and I know the connection to the horn must be dirty because it's real weak. I'd rather clean some connections than have to replace the brake light switches and probably bleed the brakes. We'll see. At least the weather is decent here right now. Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I replace the 2 brake light switches on my 1973 VW beetle about every 3 years. On mine, they go out about every 3.3 years. This is about the easiest way:

-disconnect the battery

-drain and remove the fuel tank

-while you're in there, replace the tank outlet finger filter screen and hose.

-might want to paint the tank too.

Reply to
Jim347a

First rule of electrical T-shooting:

90 percent of all electrical issues are a ground problem.

You may not have a bad ground, but this is something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

Why would you remove the fuel tank? On a 70 standard bug you can just remove the left front tire and have full access to the master cylinder.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Bad ground? These are the dual element bulbs so if the ground was bad the regular running light side of the bulb wouldn't work. Anyhow, I did clean the contacts already.

However, I didn't just check the elements for the brake side of the bulbs so they could perhaps have gone bad in both bulbs at the same time. Seems unlikely but I know if I discount that possibility, it WILL be what has happened.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Check the bulbs, the obvious things that people usually don't check!!! You also assumed that they were ok. You can also connect a bulb directly to the master cylinder using two wires and hold it on you hand while you brake to test the switch and the bulbs.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

I would 1; check the bulb. 2; connect a jumper across the wires to the M.C. and I would add a 3 rd brake lite. one that allows you to monitor the system in your rear view mirror. Good Luck ! You can do it.

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

Yeah, that's what I was saying - if I assume that can't be the problem, it will turn out to be the problem. It's often the little thing you discount while troubleshooting that turns out to be the problem in the end. So I will be checking the bulbs. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I was thinking about adding one of those third lights but I need to make a tray for the rear trunk area behind the seat first.

One good thing about this is if I do need to do some wiring I have two different cordless soldering irons that I got as gifts this past Christmas. Maybe a chance to use them.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Following up on this for anyone who wants to know - the bulbs were okay, the connection under the front hood seemed a bit loose, but in the end it was the switches that were bad. I was able to replace them without letting any air bubbles into the brake system (although I still plan on replacing the 36 year old lines this summer with braided steel ones). Also replaced my horn - I thought the connections were just weak again but it would barely chirp so I got a new one that is nice and loud. Never use that anyhow. Maybe I will now.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Thanks for the update - it will be usefull in the future i am sure !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I also had a bad switch. In my case the lights were always on! I only notice it when I went to the annual inspection (MOT on UK). I had to quickly disconnected one of the switch to pass ;-)

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu