trying to get a 56 running

Ok I have a 56 t2 (Ambulance) that I just got and am having trouble getting her started. It has about 25k on the clock fyi. I have changed the gas, (sat for 3 years) and have replaced the battery and the coil (thinking that it was gone). I pulled one of the plugs to check to see if I was getting a spark and it was blue. I do not have a manual for this year and was wondering what else I should check before I pull the carb and rebuild it. I even tried to put a little gas right into the carb to see if it would fire off (has worked on my Bug before) with no result. Should the spark be a different color? What/where should I look next? By the way if anyone is interested she will be going up for sale this winter or next spring. Thanks. George

Reply to
george taylor

Still 6V ? If so, you need nearly the full 6 volts at the coil *during* cranking to get good spark. Check by holding the coil HT lead about 10mm from metal ground. If spark jumps that gap, it should start.

Fill the carb bowl directly with fresh gas to be sure that's not a factor.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
george taylor

High Tension: The lead from the Coil to the Distributor cap.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
george taylor

I would change the plugsand points ,

Reply to
Kafertoys

Hey dumbshit, try sticking the #1 HT lead up your ass and see if you can blink in rhythm to the timing marks.

Reply to
Anthony W

Fill the floatbowl with gas as previously mentioned then use jumpercables to a 12V vehicle, just make sure you turn off all the lights first, and do not apply the brakes as that will turn the brakelights on. (You will very likely blow your 6V bulbs).

12 Volts on old/lazy 6 Volt sytems works wonders, I ran my 56 T1 like that for maany years, only blew the windshield wiper motor once after prolonged use in the winter.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

George, feel the exhaust while someone cranks it to see if you feel good airflow and or smell raw gas, good fuel and spark points to lack of compression, could need a valve adjustment, you did check the plugs to make sure they weren't fouled right?

Reply to
fixer33

Reply to
george taylor

As I mentioned before, hook it up to 12V, remove airfilter and cover carb throat with the palm of your hand a w.o.t. whilst cranking it. Vacuum created will very likely remove anything clogged and help you draw fuel to pump and carb.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Maybe these three links could be of some help:

Jim347a