tuning my bus

I bought a mid-70's VW bus, and I can do most of the regular maintenance with my brothers tools and advice, but my manual does not have enough information to set the timing.

Can someone please help me.

The manual tells how to do it with what I guess is a standard distributor, with a vacuum advance tube and a timing retard tube, but my bus doesn't have any of these. It just has a plain distributor with no tubes.

So how do I set the timing?

Reply to
Janeth

Thanks for your advice Mr. MuadibR. What kind of a name is that?

I used an old cloth measuring tape from my sewing basket - do not have a protractor. I can measure the outside of the whole pulley and take a fraction of it.

There is a number on my distributor. It is 9230081050 if that means anything.

There is one notch in my pulley - I will have to check this timing mark to see what degrees it is supposed to be at. I saw in another post before how to do that.

Janeth =================

MUADIB® wrote:

Reply to
Janeth

"Janeth" wrote

Some info here:

Scott H.

That is a strictly mechanical advance distributor so no tubes is normal :)

I use a craftsman xenon strobe that I can dial in what advance I want and it automagically delays the flash enough so that I am always looking for the timing mark at TDC - really cool. Also be sure to pull the rotor and put a few drops of oil on that little sponge to keep the weights swinging free.

I've used the 050 on a VW engine but prefer it's advance curve on a short rod motor (ie: 912 or 356 porsche). If you have any problems with it feeling 'flat' off the line you might try an 009.

knt

Janeth wrote:

Reply to
knt

( reference the DUNE series,...............Wrong spelling , kinda on purpose.)

I believe that Scott has given a decent page to determine more about your distributor.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®