Tunnel fuel line - good idea to replace?

Hi all

With my body off, I have the stripped frame sitting on a table and very easily flip it over to do whatever needs doing - Very convenient.

The fuel line is not totally clogged but it must be gummed up or at least varnished with goop so was wondering whether it is a good idea to replace it. I can probably replace it in 1/2 hour so it would be pretty painless to do now.

What do you think: Leave it alone or replace it? Where would one get similar tubing, if it should be replaced?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Fuel line tubing is available at most hardware stores. Its plastic and usually copper color.

Reply to
Funkie

Thanks -- I've replaced fuel line on other cars with that sort of stuff. This looks like aluminum line, about 1/4" going through the tunnel (from frame head to transmission horn)

It is usually replaced with plastic, then?

Reply to
Remco

Answering my own question, but I see someone else has done it a couple of post down and one of the guys even suggested the replacement line (aircooled.net)

I'll go that route.

Reply to
Remco

Can't you just run a wire coat hanger thru the old to clean it out or compressed air? Unless it is totally rusted I'd try to keep the original. Replacing with other could result in one that rattles around and gets chaffed in the tunnel (since you have no way to weld it ever few feet like the original one.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for that -- rattling had not occured to me.

You think that would work and get all the goop loose and flakes out? At some point I was debating to run some braided steel wire through and hooking it up to a drill.

I was just wondering if you can get it clean enough so thought replacement was the thing to do.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I don't know if that's really a good idea with a *fuel* line, but I had to use a similar method to fix the clutch cable on my 914. The tube apparently had acquired, ahem, some rust internally - I pulled the old cable out with a come along hooked to a railroad tie across the door to my parents' garage. My dad was sitting in the car standing on the brake. Yes, I was a little concerned about what would happen if the cable snapped :/

I kind of reamed the tube clean with some pieces of all-thread welded together and chucked in a cordless drill. I also had some moments of concern when I thought about my welding skill and the angle that the all-thread was bent at :/ but it all worked out OK, I got the new clutch cable in and it worked.

However, while I was willing to try this with a clutch cable guide tube, do you really want a fuel line all lined with rust? And do you want to deal with the possible pinholes that are only going to get bigger with time in a fuel application? I'd still replace it. Maybe creative use of grommets is in order?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks, Nate - another good point.

I don't really know what condition the line is in so what you're saying makes a lot of sense: reaming it out may actually make it worse and possibly even dangerous.

Thanks for the sanity checks, guys. I replace it.

Remco

Reply to
Remco