Twin Carb Balancing Question

I am preparing to put a set of Solex P40-II carbs and manifolds on my

1600 DP powered kit car and was wondering about balancing the carbs.

Would installing vacuum ports on each manifold and using vacuum gauges to balance the carbs be an improvement over using an air flow meter?

I have used the vacuum setup previously on multi carb motorcycle setups with good results. I also used flow meters to balance multiple SU type carbs on MG-TDs and MGBs with good results.

Input on the Pros and Cons of each method would be appreciated while I still have the manifolds on the workbench.

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Have you ever used the hose-and-ear method? I learned it when tuning SUs on my Triumphs.

Reply to
jjs

I recall reading about that method somewhere but did not really give it much thought. I have hearing loss in a band of mid-range frequencies which makes sound based approaches iffy at times. (That is why I no longer tune VDubs to sound like banging garbage can lids anymore :) )

I have a flow meter with a floating ball in the tool kit of my '53 MG-TD and have a matched set of 4 vacuum gauges and hoses on a manifold from a long gone motorcycle project. Since I have the equipment already, one of the "hardware intensive" approaches will probably be selected.

I would certainly be interested in learning about the hose an ear method. I may just be able to hear the difference.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

$75 new in 1977 - Honda 4-gauge set. Right? :) Those oriental gauges had good, adjustable dampening.

Reply to
jjs

Damn, you got a good deal on that...I believe I paid $79.95 for that set then! :)

Tim

Reply to
The Guy