Two Questions...

Hey gang....

First off, I have two questions... one simple... one a lil more lengthy....

#1 On my 69 Beetle Baja, I notice that I have "defroster" lines on the rear window...but for the life of me, I can not find any controls for it... there does not appear to be a knob or switch on the dash...is this a gaff by PO who replaced it incorrectly....????

#2 (and here is the lengthy one) On my old '70 Beetle I had some western wheels (I hope that's the name of the rims) four lug, with Turbo Tech 195/70SR14's on all four corners.... I liked them and the rims and when I departed with the car (long story) I kept the rims and tires.... the rims have been moving from one place to another with me for about 10 years....

Now I have a my 69 baja... and it currently is running...

Front: Cooper Sportsmaster GLT 165R15 Back: Bridgestone Desert Dueler P235/75R15

I don't mind the wheels, but I am not a fan of the look of the rims...

I would love to use my old rims, BUT is moving down to the 14's a major bad idea? What kinda issues might I have if I pursue this switch?

Should I just throw the 14's in the classifieds and look for some other

15 rims that flip my trigger?

Just curious... I like the wideness of the Deulers in the back... but the fronts look like bicycle wheels to me and narrow...but maybe that is just me...

any advice would be majorly appreciated....

Matt

Reply to
Cujo3131

This page of my web site:

down to Miscellaneous:"Circuit diagram for rear window defogger on Type 1 cars." The switch is *under* the dash lip and is a tiny rocker type.

The fuse and relay are under the back seat. Don't be surprised if the thing doesn't work. After ~40 years, most of the grid wires have broken...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

thanks Jim....

I will give that a look... Was just curious as I didn't see it anywhere. Seems my fuse assembly has been replaced so I won't be surprised if that switch is missing either....

But will give it a gander...

Matt

Reply to
Cujo3131

Sorry to bud in...

But that's a big heads up. Thanks for sharing that, I've just 2 lines working on my '73 and sometimes I (try to) use them.

Are the back windows with defroster still available (new)? I mean, they stopped producing ac beetles in 2003, how about parts?

tia Roger

Reply to
bug '59

They dont work like that - they carry the same load as they did before the others gave up ! A=V/R

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Rich gets the prize :-)

All elements are in parallel, so one burning out has no effect on the others.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Anyone have any input on my tire question????

Matt

Reply to
Cujo3131

Oh... OK. :) But is there any chance they sell the back window new?

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Do you know for sure yours is bad?

Doubt you will find a heated window anywhere. There are repair kits (of dubious value) and also aftermarket grid kits (effective, but ugly).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Well, 2 are working the rest is not :(

I do have a repair kit (some kind of paint that conduct) but then I might end up painting the 'whole' rear window. The aftermarked kid you mentioned, is that the one which you stick onto the window alowing you to see almost nothing through that window? (due to thick lines)

Is the rear window of the "ultima edition" bigger than the ones from '73 and up? I sure would like to see those (and other) new parts were built..

Cheers, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I have one about four years old, it was about £100 over here. Cant remember where from though...sorry.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Reply to