type 1 clutch cable guide/sleeve

The cable runs from one end of the tunnel to the other and is steel. Your problem is not unheard of and is usually repaired by cutting a hole in the tunnel and welding it back in place. I don't know why you are opposed to having it welded but perhaps you should reconsider. The u-bolt idea, although it might work, sounds like a hack job and more difficult to do than welding it.

Reply to
Gary H

My question concerns the type 1 clutch cable guide/sleeve that is located inside the tunnel. Not to be confused with the bowden tube. My clutch cable guide has detached from the tunnel and now emits a scraping sound with each shift. Before I attempt any repair, I would like to know: What is this guide made of? Is it solid or flexible? How long is it? What is the outside diameter? I am open to any ideas and suggestions for re-attaching this guide. I don't want to do any welding in that area because my car has been very thoroughly ziebarted. I am thinking of cutting an access hole in the right side of the tunnel and then re-attaching the guide with a small u bolt projecting through the left side of the tunnel. Other ideas and suggestions are requested. Please. Thank you. George Herzog

Reply to
George Herzog

Thanks for the information. I don't want to weld it because of the ziebart coating that has been injected everywhere, including the tunnel. I don't want to start a fire.

Reply to
George

Good point. I actually *did* start a nasty fire inside the body of a Ghia I was welding. Worse, the car was still inside the garage and on blocks so it couldn't be rolled out.

I rather liked your U-bolt idea!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

....................Here's an idea. What about a single hole and then hooking the clutch tube with a J bolt?

........ Just a thought.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Excellent improvement! Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"George" wrote

George, if this will help, the page listed below has some great pictures of the inside of the tunnel:

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Thanks Scott

This site has moved http://www.vwdcq> "George" wrote

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

So, where are the weld points for the clutch tube? I liked the picture of the cut away of the tunnel. I think I may have the same problem, but I havent driven the car yet, (three year resto) The pan and tunnel have been powder coated, so I dont want to make very many access holes. I have the clutch cable installed. Its very hard to push down (have HD pressure plate so that may be why) but I can hear a faint creeking when i push in on the clutch.

Reply to
<1l75

Reply to
George

Another Thank you. These photos are much more than I could hope for.

Grahame Rumballe wrote:

Reply to
George

Reply to