type 2 heater box question

we have a 73 westfalia nd the left hand heater box lost both studs holding the foward exhast to the head.So of course the sound got terrible loud after checking to see we were not going to lose anything we coninued on living with the noise as we went. We were in rural Newfoundland without a Vw shop to be found and i wouldn't let just anyone work on my VW. Anyway after we got home (back to Halifax Nova Scotia ) i put the van up on ramps and checked out the condition . The lost stud holes will accept new stud and bolt so that it not a problem , however the backpart of the heater box exhast port is cracked where the heater box bends up and goes into the mounting bracket ( with the holes for the bolts to go in) .. so my question is can this be welded /brazed in place or do i have to remove the heater box in order to repair this . Maybe if i remove it should i just replace the heater box ? Is there something other than a heater box that replace the box (like the j tubes on the bug engine) we dont use the heat at all as the PO removed all the stuff foward of the boxes and the van is stored in the winter thanks in advance for all your advice

john harrison

73 westfalia 75 beetle 96/91 jetta
Reply to
john harrison

................Hillcrest(?) VW in Halifax is a great dealership that actually has some aircooled enthusiasts working in the service dept. Or at least they did when I was there about three or four years ago. They're the only dealership that I've seen in decades that I would let work on an ACVW. I'd take it to them and see what they think if I were you.

BTW...........Newfoundland can be pretty damn cold in August..........lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

hi tim we live in halifax and hillcrest doesnt do any work on any of the older vechikles now VWoC doesnt want anything to do with them at all . There is someone in town who does work on them but i usually do most things myself and almost never have to go there except for parts. by the way the weather in newfoundland was beautiful we spend a month camping over there with temp around 25c the whole time (we are both from there so we are used to colder temps lol)

john harrison

Tim Rogers wrote:

Reply to
john harrison

Odd, since the dealer out at Medicine Hat, Alberta happily works on them! They did all the refurb after storage work on mine recently. There are enough air-cooled VWs in town that they'd never pass up the business!

Reply to
Red Bug

Reply to
ilambert