Type 3 Notchback Question

Were Notchbacks imported into the US?

When I was a kid, my parents bought one. The dealer who sold it to them told them that they weren't imported into the US, and this one had been brought back from Germany from someone in the army. While we owned it, we never saw another one on the road. It's only recently I found out they have a group of enthusiasts.

This is only one of may cars I wish my parents never sold.

Reply to
Steve Foley

I've been told that VW didn't import the notchback here. That being said, it's surprising that so many seem to have found their way to the US, based on the number I've seen over the years. It sure is a cool looking ACVW!

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

I've owned my Notch since 1971 and although I am not a Type 3 fanatic I recall reading that Notchbacks were sold new in Canada. My '63 came with the owner's manual written in German. The manual was contained inside a slip cover indicating that the car was sold by a VW dealer in Hamburg. I have always wondered how it got to the US and who owned it the first 9 years.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

My first car was nearly a bone stock 68 Notchback. My Dad was afraid that I'd ruin a "classic" ($850) so I ended up with a 74 Thing instead. Talk about getting abused. The Thing spent nearly as much time off road as it did on road. Andy

63 Camper

Reply to
Andy

The were never "officially" imported by VWoA. VW Canada did sell them. My former '63 and '72 notchback and my current '65 notchback all made their way to the US by members of the US Military. My old '71 notch came from Canada. There were some dealers who did the grey market importation of the Type 3's before they officially started coming over in 1966, but even then, VW made the decision to not bring the notch.

Neil

Reply to
Neil