type 3 to type 1 rear brakes

I have access to a set of type 3 rear brakes. I know that they will fit onto the rear of a bug, but will I also need the stub axle (I think that is what it is called)? What else should I grab off of the type 3? thanks

Reply to
george taylor

.....What you need from a donor type 3 car is the splined hubs that fit on to the stub axles and the back plates. You don't need to change or modify the axles. The outer face of the hubs where the axle nut seats have to be machined down on swing axle bugs. I don't remember how much. My '77 bug was a bolt on fit with no machining.

.........If you have oversized rear tires like me (205/65) and smaller tires up front (185/65), this a great way to rebalance the brakes so that the rear brakes are doing more work. My '77 stops much better with them.

Reply to
Tim Rogers