Type 4 engines and bus...

I still have a 2 liter type 4 engibne which i got a few weeks ago. Now there's someone local who wants to sell me the following:

1600 engine (looks like a T4 pancake but he swears it's a 1600) 2x 1800 engine (looks like a beetle/bus engine but he also swears it's 1800 not 1600) 2.2 liter engine (still crated, never used, looks like a T4 but he says 2.2 liter, not 2 liter???) Bus with 2 liter engine T4, busted gearbox, very solid body, no rust at all and has a nice brown interior, no water damage.

I want to use the bus to transplant the parts from my deluxe to as the deluxe needs much more bodywork then the bus this guy has will cost me.

Can the numbers match on those engines or is it all BS and there's no such thing as an 1800 beetle engine?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets
David Gravereaux

...................If the 'still in the crate' type 4 engine is from an aftermarket rebuilder, it might have oversized cylinders. Either way, it's probably worth getting assuming that it's from a good supplier. I'd guess its value at maybe $300 since it has an unkown quality and may or may not be trouble free for you. There's no such thing as a 1600 type 4 or an 1800 type

  1. ..............If you really want this guy's bus, I'd try to make a deal without worrying about whether he knows what he's talking about.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

There's a 1600 type 1/4 hybrid, rarely seen and probably the relatively few that were built died a premature death at the mercy of a heavy vanagon. That's the CT or VZ case. It looks a lot like the Type 4, but shares many parts with the type1. All cooling pieces are CT/CZ spesific, T4 pieces don't fit. I had a CT case once not long ago but I gave it away because I had no time to rebuild it. It would have been a nice head scratcher at some shows :)

Here's more info on it:

It was available as a low budget engine option from 1979 to 1983 in Vanagons

Ask him what the engine serial numbers are, that should tell you what size and type they were ORIGINALLY.

Type 1 engines (not counting the very early ones) were sized thusly: (sp =single port, dp=dual port)

1200sp (in production at least until 1988. Can't remember if it was dp later) 1300sp&dp (not sure when they were discontinued, but these were made side by side with the others from 1966) 1500sp (started in 1966 I think, and ended sometime around 1971 or so? The best Type 1 ever. ) 1600sp&dp (started around... hmm.. 1970?)

And the type 4 :

1700 1800 2000

Type 4 specs and production years and cars they were fitted in, can be found here:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson