Unable to reverse (Autostick)

I am unable to put the car in reverse. This is a 1968 VWT1 (Bug) with an autostick transmission.

The problem was sudden, and is somewhat intermittant -- that is, it will sometimes allow me to shift into reverse and sometimes not. When not, it will allow me to move the stick there pretty easily, but there is a scream of gears not meshing!

History: Don't know what's relevent, but here's some info: About 6 months ago a gradual rubbing noise presented itself sounding as if it came from a rear wheel. Nothing presented itself upon examination. The rubbing sound is very short and very regular, occurring only on acceleration or constant speed (not decceleration or coasting) and seems to correspond to one rotation of the (whichever) wheel. The sound becomes louder (but intermittant) and sounds like what I would think a bolt on the wheel rotating around and hitting an obstacle once per revolution.

Then one day the brakes fail just as I'm entering a highly congested 10 mile long bridge at the morning rush hour. But I'm able to swing into the bus lane next to me, put the car in reverse and drive quickly down the bus ramp (hoping to Ghu that there are no busses coming), then drive home using the "emergency" brake. I live. The master cylinder had failed and is replaced. The mechanic finds nothing to account for the noise, but does mumble that the rear brake pads were on backwards. The noise is gone, but

2 weeks later it returns, quiet at first and then returning to it's previous noise level (it echoes in parking garages). Then one day, while driving home, I realize that the pedal is very close to the floor when I brake, indeed, two pumps brings the pedal to a proper level. Return the car to the mechanic, he bleeds the brakes and examines the rear hoses and pads. Finds nothing wrong, says the pads were worn but not backwards, is concerned that air may have gotten into the system via the 35 year old rubber brake hoses, replaces the pads. Finds no cause for the noise. But, the noise is gone. Then 2 weeks later the noise returns.

Then one day the car won't back into the only parking space for miles around. I fiddle with the wires (all seem good) check the vacuum hose connections (good), and finally adjust the solenoid half a turn. Suddenly the car will go into reverse. Fine, thinks I, I've fixed it. But 2 days later it's the same problem and an occasional need to apply force in order to get into Low gear too. Which beings us to the current state.

Thankful for any likely causes of this behavior(s), J.C.

Reply to
Jerry Cornelius

Possibly a problem with the vacuum diaphram of the clutch servo. Or maybe a wiring issue with the switch located inside of the shifter. these are the two most common things that I have seen. When the diaphram is ruptured it may emit a noise and cause the engine to try to stall.

I have not seen brake pads on the rear of Type 1s. I usually see brake shoes and it might be possible to install the hardware for them wrong, such as the adjuster screws being upside down.

BTW Quick thinking to save your T1. ;-)

dave

If it's your tranny... contact me off line... I have one of these lugs on a pallet that I'd love to move away.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead