Update - Tech: 72 SB, can't remove the 36mm rear wheel nuts!

Well, the Bug now has rear brakes. My friend from Caterpiller (took a suggestion) brought over his 1" drive ratchet with 3' bar and we knocked them loose. (Yay!)

We found the adjusters frozen, both rear wheels had one adjuster in, one out. The shoes were trashed (and strangely enough, ground on one edge - on purpose). One drum was worn so bad, it had a 1/8" or better lip - hardly any metal left. Luckily we found one auto parts that actually had a rear drums in stock...so now it stops on a dime and gives change.

Now it's ready for licensing. On the road again...

Reply to
Barnhart Pinball

Hope you got the 36's torqued down tight enough. If they were left loose, they'll allow the drum to move just slightly in relation to the shaft, and the shaft will start eating more room for itself, eventually stripping the splines in the drum. You'll notice, when you suddenly "lose all gears, engine runs but car won't move" :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

if folks would listen to their cars when they talk to them, that won't happen... i've had the axle nuts "loose" before and it makes a very distinct noise(to me)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani