Vacuum signal on idle

I would like to know why we have to disconnect the vacuum line that comes from the carb to the distributor vacuum can to set the timing. I can?t see any difference when I?m using a strobe light and I can?t feel any depression when I put my finger on it. (Idling at 850 rpm). The car is running very smooth right now with the new vacuum can and the timing set correctly. I only can fell a little tremble when I accelerate very slowly between the 1300 and 1800 rpm (I don?t have a tachometer so I really don?t know for sure)

1600DP 34Pict 3 (I don't know the jet sizes)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

It is part of the procedure because there *could* be a small amount of vacuum, for example if the throttle plate didn't close completely.

But you're correct, most of the time it doesn't matter.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Once more... thanks for the quickly reply.

Do you have any idea of the amount of the air that the manifold sucks from temperature sensor on the top of the air filter? The flap works because it makes enough vacuum, but I can feel a lot of air coming in from there.

TIA

Joao

Joao Eliseu

There should not be any leakage of air (vacuum). The sensor (thermostat) may not be seating fully or the diaphragm at the flapper may have a leak.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Joao

Joao Eliseu

The flapper is ok with no leak. The sensor shakes a lot on the top of the air filter...could this be the problem? May be that?s why my idle is not as regular as it should be. I don't have any idea how to remove it to clean.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

filter...could

Leave the sensor alone then. Looseness should not affect the idle in any way.

Uneven idle is more often a problem *inside* the carburetor. Have you tried adjusting the idle volume (mixture) screw- the smaller screw?

I know these things are annoying, but sometimes it is better to live with them:-)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I will try to forget the sensor :-) (I will by pass it to test)

Concerning the idle volume, last night I warm up the engine to set up the timing and the carburetor. After timing it, my wife and my son enter the car saying "Get's go..." so I didn?t have time to set up the carburetor and I detected a little tremble when accelerating. I bought a used the carburetor with the condition that if isn?t ok I would replace it for a new one. Instead of a small idle volume screw it has a big on with a spring?!?!? I will try to set up the carburettor tomorrow.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Here it is a picture of the engine

Joao Eliseu

Very nice!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

He forgot to wrap the Budweiser can around the coil!!! *horrified look*

Reply to
Shag

Could you explain it better or send me a picture of your engine for me to see? What do you me with "Budweiser"? Joao

Joao Eliseu

Shag

lol

Very cool...not the beer...

I hide the lines that go to the air filter...It looks better...

I don't have any beer at home only wine :-/ so no more improvements... Joao

Joao Eliseu

It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, right? :-)

Reply to
Shag