Value of parting out body and chassis

So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to a new storage place and it got me thinking.

Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount '72 body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way to sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)

Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.

Stafford here - back after a long respite.

Why not sell it as is, It sounds like a bug that should be put back on the road.

I have bought a few non-running bugs that might have been worth more as parts then then the time and money to get them in nice shape and road worthy.

Where are you I'm sure you could find someone in your area that would buy it and do the same.

1of the last I saved was a nice 61 beetle that had sat in a back yard for 10 yrs, it has been driven several hundred miles sence then. And 2 that had engine fires, both are very nice daily drivers and could be shown.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

I'd post it on theSamba and see what happens

The trick will be to find someone willing to put it all back together that is also willing to spend what you're asking. In someone's mind, it might be a very fine balance because one can find completely put together 72 bugs for not crazy money. What kind of money were you looking for?

You can always part it out too. (although that might be a shame, it being in good condition).

Just my 2c. Remco

Reply to
Remco

i think John's 72 is in assembled condition....

John, first welcome back, next the car is probably worth more as is, not parted.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Oh sorry - I was under the impression it was in a thousand pieces. Maybe I was just thinking of my 72 :)

Carry on.

Reply to
Remco

Long time Mr.Stafford, all well??

If you use the word pristine like it should(and I think you do), the car should be worth quite a bit even for a -72. That vintage are no longer easy to come by in such a condition..

All the best.

J.

Reply to
Berg

Correction: I went to the storage place yesterday and noticed that the rubber around the windshield is weather-checked, so are the front tires. And the engine is a cheap rebuild. Bummer. The car is not pristine after all. It is rust-free, however.

Still sounds like a car worth saving.

J.

Reply to
Berg

I have been getting in alot of late model bugs and supers that people want fixed up so they can be driven again after setting for as long as

10 yrs or more. Some have had these cars and know something about them others get ones like yours and just bring them to me for "What ever it takes". Take pictures and offer it up for sale for what you truly believe its worth,I'm sure someone will buy it as is. I do not to part out an aircooled VW unless theres no hope of it hitting the road again.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys