valve cover bails

When flip the bails to remove the valve cover, should they swing down or up? I'm wondering if I put them on incorrectly when I rebuilt my engine.

Reply to
Mel P.

I have never owned an ACVW where the bails did not flip downward to remove the valve cover.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

What luftgekuehlten said -- "down" on mine too. I had to go into the garage to double check this, but is it even possible to put the cover on incorrectly? Or can't you get the bail back on?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
D&LBusch

Right - that's what it looks like to me too.

If you're having a problem getting the bail back on, the following might be of use. I heard about this trick a while back, here or on thesamba and thought it was clever:

You slip a rag around the bail and pull the rag (+ bail) where the bail belongs. You then slip the rag out - it has the added advantage of not scratching up the valve cover.

Reply to
Remco