Valve covers/Push rod tubes -- to paint or not to paint.

Hi all

I've been in the process of painting my engine tins black this week (sandblasted them a while ago but finally the weather is warm enough so it'll dry in the garage). They now look like new again but I am more interested in more efficient heat transfer.

I still have some POR-15 left and was wondering if it is a good idea to paint the outside of the valve covers. If that is indeed a good idea, does it get hot enough where I need POR20 and 15 just won't do? How about the push rod tubes? I guess it doesn't hurt, but does it help? Are there other parts that run cooler painted black?

While I am on this topic, can the inside of heater channels be treated with POR-15 somehow? (besides dipping the whole car in a swimming pool filled with the stuff, that is? :)

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
Remco

Yes. And neither the valve covers or pr tubes get hot enough to require POR20. POR15 will do just fine.

Cylinders and tin, that's about it. You can try to paint the case too if you like, but apply only a light coat. It won't hold very well.

I can get channel & undercoating spray cans with a flexible nozzle extension that has a spray nozzle at the end, that spreads the spray to the sides, like flower petals. Ideal for coating insides of the channel through a tiny drill hole. Maybe it can be used for paint too. Hell why not. I just never tried.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Ben Boyle

of my 2CV"s frame. However, I don't think

it. Instead use an oil that will remain

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Do NOT use por 15 on bare clean metal - it will not stick. It's made for rusty surfaces. Any good quality paint will work on the parts you mention, but you might feel better if you used engine enamel (it's nade for slightly higher temps.). HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.

Reply to
ThaDriver

Whatever paint you intend to use, determine its maximum heat rating. You really don't need anything beyond 500F or so. Be careful of "High Temp" paints because they may have some added ingredients that actually serve as a heat insulator. Those pushrod tubes also serve as an oil radiator of sorts.

Geoffe Elias

74 Super Beetle
geoffers