Vintage Plates in CA ?

We have a coupla K.G.'s that just turned 36 y.o. do they qualify for special plates in California??

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
LL bean

The only 'vintage' plates you can use in Calif are YOM plates unless you want to spring for specialty plates. Here are the specialty plates available from DMV:

YOM plates mean 'year of manufacture'. YOM plates are ONLY usable up to the end of 1962 with yellow w/black figures. The 63+ black w/yellow plates are NOT allowed to be used as YOM plates. You will see them on eBarf going for ridiculous prices, but they are only good for wall decorations. You cannot use them and you cannot transfer them to another vehicle.

YOM plates MUST have the year sticker on them that matches the year of your car. The yellow w/black plates were made from 56 to 62. If you have a 1958 car, the yellow plate must have 1958 sticker on it, not 59, not 60. You must have a matching pair of YOM plates and they must be clean and clear. This means the number/letter sequence must not be in use by another series of car plates or motorcycle plates.

Since you have 36 year old KG's, then you have 1969 cars? Sorry, the only plates you can use are the original or the specialty ones.

Reply to
Karl

Yes it's true about the YOM plates from above, but also if the car was sold with the original CA blk/yel plates as in my case, you have the option to retain them. My bug is a 1966, I believe blk/yel plates were issued up until 1968. 1969 were the blue/yellow plates. There is one way to get around this. I found a place that will make license plates blk/yel, or blu/yel just like the originals. You can order today's personal plates from DMV, then have them duplicated in blk/yel, or blu/yel. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be legal if the same numbers/letters are on your registration, but it's best to check with the CA-DMV. To me it looks odd to see a vintage car with modern CA plates, just my personal feeling.

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima