VW Beetle Police Car

Check out this restored 63 Beetle Police Car.

Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

In order to be a restored police car it would have to have been an original police car at some point. It might be interesting to see documentation that VWs were actually used as such in Saint Johns (where ever that is). I'm certain it was common in Europe. Not so sure about here in the US.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

There are not many pre 61 bugs around here, and there's a historical reason for that. Splits where used by the "SIM (servicio de inteligencia militar)" a military unit used mainly to torment civilians of the opposition during the dictatorship (1930-1961). After Trujillo (dictator) was killed the people destroyed almost every bug on the island. Now you have to be really lucky to see one of those alive.

Later, in the '80's, the police used mexican bugs with some alterations. There are some of those police bugs still running around here. I'll try to get some pics and post them.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Actually..I've seen and photograhed that bug...it's not one of the 2 original ones they had.. they had this one restored for the 150th anniversary of the police force in 1999 (Saint John, New Brunswick CANADA)..in the early 1960's the parking division and the night sgts used them quite abit and they helped the force become a litlle..'friendlier' pat

Reply to
Pat

Cool! Suitable for a high speed chase... I wonder if it has all of the original equipment like a police 2-way radio, etc. Here is a vintage VW ad from 1966.... Don't laugh.

Thanks!

Rich VWbug.com

Reply to
Rich

There is another ad I've seen with a Squareback police car. BTW, the restored police car is a 65 or 66. Check the windows and license plate light.

Reply to
Zarana-X

Haha...you think it's got a 2007 in the back to keep up with the bad boys in the pony cars?

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I've got a book of old vw ads and that ones in it. My wife saw it, and said "Hey, I know where that is!". She grew up in alabama hehe.

Micah

Reply to
Micah Gorrell