VW Beetle: Production of the "Ultima Edicion" Starts

I want one!

Ben Boyle

It would be cool to own one of those. It said that only 3000 will be built. Probably many of those will be hoarded by investors or speculators. So of those cars may end up in the U.S for the collector value, but they just would not be able to drive it. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

I've never been a fan of the later models, but that shade of blue with those whitewall tires looks really, really good.

I want one too!

Reply to
Seth Graham

It said that the last one is scheduled to come off the line on July 30th. If the first one (not including prototypes) came out around 1938, then this car has had a 65 year production run. I would imagine that VW of Germany or VWoA will take the last car and put in one of their museums. Hopefully the press will be there taking pictures so we can all see the last one roll off. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

I like the little retro touches, like the return of the Wolfsburg crest on the hood and the chrome trim. Sweet looking Bug, but like other's said, most will probably end up in the garages of the "Rich and Famous" crowd.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I'm not a big fan of the '73 and later Bugs, but that is a pretty car. Love the wheels, color, and gotta love the crest on the trunk!

JD '63 Sunroof '68 Single Cab?

Reply to
Old2Lt

What year, exactly, were the South American and Mexican Beetles modeled from? They had swing arms, but late model front fenders. No?

Reply to
J Stafford

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Brazilians got the tooling for 61 to 64 bugs and later upgraded to the ball joint front beam and the later hoods and engine lids, but retained the small windows.

Mexicans got the tooling from the 68 and later bugs and kept the same form until 1997 when they decromed and went 'cal look' with monochromatic bumpers and the same colors Golfs came in...

Brazlians kept the engine single relief and 1300 single port and 1600 dualport until the end of the run. Mexicans went dual relief, fuel injected and dual port somewhere in the 90s.

Both were swing axle always. Brazilians got the fresh airbox, mexicans did not.

Reply to
Eduardo

But in the end they are kind of a mutt, a mixture of different years and ideas.

Ben you just described my Bug.

Reply to
Steve

"Braukuche" wrote

Well ... there's two strikes against me already.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.