VW Brake Lines

the last person who restored this Thing ran the rear brake line coming from the master cylinder through the inside of the car beside the tunnel. Through the years it has work a hole in the line where he fed it through drilled ungrommeted (if thats a word) holes on its path to the rear of the car.

Long story short...the flares on the end of the brake lines are bubble flares if I remember right. A mechanic at work has a bubble flare machine he uses on GM cars...is this the same flare I need?

thanks.......

Morgan

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

I think that in all beetles, the brake line run inside of the car beside the tunnel on the driver side.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

That's how mine is as well, both on the 72 and 75.

If it wore a hole and spilled brake fluid, you may want to check the metal around the area because it can do a job on perfectly good metal. My front crossbrace (that Napoleon-hat-looking-thing that is suposed to have a grommet in it and where the master cylinder mounts to) was rotted through so I need to replace it for that reason.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

ILL HAVE TO GET A GROMET...OR PUT A PEICE OF FUEL LINE AROUND THE BRAKE LINE TO STOP THE ABRASION...

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

This link might help:

(basically a search for "Metric bubble flare" on theSamba.)

Reply to
Remco

"> ILL HAVE TO GET A GROMET...OR PUT A PEICE OF FUEL LINE AROUND THE BRAKE LINE

Writing with capital letters is like shouting at someone.... I can't believe you meant that to happen....

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

I have just done mine. We dont call them bubble flares (Idont think) I bought a flaing kit for 24GBP and followed the instructions for a 'single' flare.

It looks similar to the old ones I took out. Im using copper tube which is quite soft and will form a sqish seal in the fittings.

Rich

tricky

lol...no...I'm not a yeller...I'm on a program at work...and I need to be on caps all the time...and just use to it...I know its bad edicate...sorry (i'll be more mindfull)

STUPID MORGAN STUPID MORGAN

morgan

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

"Morgan Anderson" schreef in bericht news:y07cf.12349$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Now you are doing it again... :o) I once made the mistake to write in capital letters... Didn't know the 'acronyms' then and........ got PLONKED at once.... :o(

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Copper? When I suggested possibly using that for the fuel line people said the reason they didn't was because of potential metal fatigue. That's for the fuel line that is not under hydraulic pressure. Seems like a brake line would be a lot more susceptible to fatigue.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

It seems no one is answering your direct question about the bubble flare. VW come with Metric Bubble Flare (As do Porsche) and it is Not the same as the bubble flare on GM Cars.

Reply to
Joe Gliebe

I must admit..I've never heard of a copper brake line.....

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

Whew...thanks....I needed that....

As it turns out...for 6 bucks I ordered a premade line from Mike Basso at Things Unlimited in NY. There is only 1 mechanic I know of that can make a correect bubble flare for a bug...seems to be becoming an extinct breed...:(

Reply to
Morgan Anderson

Copper was very commonly used as brake lines back in the day but in not used today. I'm not sure of the reason but it has something to do with the corrosive nature of modern brake fluid and the chemical nature of the copper.

Tracy --

Confused Guy - "is that a Volvo?" Me - "no, it's a Karmann Ghia" Confused Guy - "Oh. Well, it's a nice one"

Reply to
73_Ghia