VW Considering leaving the U.S. Market?

Saw this article on Autoblog and it is been on a couple of other sites. Guess that means that there would be no more VWoA. Guess that would put a lot of VWoA lawyers out of work too. Click on link for article and read the comments towards the bottom too.

Bill Berckman

Shame that the brand that changed everything about cars here in the US might have to leave. I have read some of the comments left for the news story above and people seem really bent about the 2L engine and such. I swore I would never buy another VW after my 74 rabbit turned to junk in 75. ( am I off on the years?)

Reply to
LLBrown

There was an article in today's newspaper that stated that VWOA was considering opening another manufacturing plant in North America since a large portion of their sales are here.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

eh, to me VW died when they stopped making the aircooled motors ... never cared much for the VWoA stuff ...

Reply to
Flea

I wouldn't miss them. They offer nothing I'm interested in, and yes there's the superiority complex and hobbyist harrassment that I can't appreciate. I've never gotten any support from them, so why should they get mine :) I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a non-aircooled VW.

And I'm dead sure no dealer grease monkey will ever get near my cars with tools in hand.

jan

Reply to
Jan

Here is another story from Germany:

Karl

Is there a place where we can meet to help them pack? They'll never get a dime from me. Andy

63 Caravelle Camper
Reply to
Andy

What VWoA needs to do is buy up as many old aircooled VW's and restore them to original condition then set them on the their lots for sale. (They wouldn't need to meet the new car regulations) I'm sure Thousands of people would buy one if they had a dealer warenty and financing. Also build a car thats back to basic, with out all the bells and whistles. They need to connect back with us die-hard aircooled drivers, and ask what we want and think and want.

Reply to
Kafertoys

yeah if they were to do something along those lines ... (or something similiar ... i like 'back to basics') ... with an aircooled setup ... i may give them another look ...

Reply to
Flea

IMO,VW never fully understood the US market. The original Beetle was concieved strictly for the European market.The fact that it became a worldwide phenom was unintended to say the least.But visionaries like Heinz Nordhoff,Ben Pon,and Max Hoffman saw that this car was too good not to be shared with the rest of the world.

Sadly,VW has lost its way on the road to becoming a corporate behemoth,and in doing so,has forgotten every lesson the Beetle taught us.The New Beetle was sucessful due only to corporate sleight of hand,outwardly teasing, and waxing nostalgic.But in truth,although cute and trendy,the New Beetle is not a very good car.Its commonplace to see one on every other used car lot in town.

The fact that VW tries too hard (and mostly fails)to be revoloutionary, it virtually ignores current US market trends.The corporate arrogance displayed since the company decided to go somewhat upmarket,has pretty much confused the average American buyer. Furthermore,competitors such as BMW,Volvo,Toyota,Accura,Honda Infinity,and Nissan offer as much or more,in price points below,at,and slightly above all VW models.These brands also offer the consumer a peace-of-mind factor VW cant. And as for the New Beetle,the Mini Cooper stole its thunder big time. Being the odd-duck it has been for so long,and where niche marketing and cult status no longer means profits, perhaps its time for VW to focus its energy on a more "sophisticated" European market us Americans dont understand.That is unless you are a pipe smoking plaid hat wearing college professor.

Reply to
sutheran Ahia