VW PROBLEMS

I bought my 97' vw jetta gt last year w/ 58,000miles. All was fine, but lately the rpm goes between 40 or 50 before switching gears, and then take forever to come down when the pedal is depressed. This is not always the case, there are times where it runs beautifully. Now another problem lately is that in one month i have refilled my anti-freeze at least 3 or 4 times. PLEASE HELP ME?

Reply to
Carlie82

This one is just waaaay too easy. :-)

Reply to
Shag

(my second try replying -- for some reason having trouble tonight)

This is the aircooled group - try the watercooled group.

Your problem is most likely the coolant sensor. Unplug it and see if the engine speed starts behaving normally. You could just replace the sensor, but since you are losing coolant, it could be that both issue are related.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Try the watercooled group. This is the aircooled group and we don't need no stinkin' anti-freeze! :)

That being said, I have seen this happen on a Jetta once: Look at the coolant temperature sensor -- unplug it to see if it starts behaving normally. (note that you can't drive without this sensor ok?) Since you are losing coolant, it could be that both these problems are related.

Good luck and please come back when you buy yourself an aircooled VW :) Remco

Reply to
Remco

As a matter of fact, we dont want no stinkin anti-freeze. Thats his problem right there. ;)

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

Anit freeze - oh yeah, I think I remember - every time you use your window washer, there is a small electric pump that pumps water from your washer bottle and squirts it onto your windows. If you disconnect the feed to the pump, you will find you anti freeze wont run out !

You will have to remember though, every time you fill up with gas, to uses the gas station facilities and wash your windsheild by hand. You never know when you will need to see where you are going. Better safe than sorry !

Rich

Carlie82 wrote:

Reply to
tricky

LOL!! That's funny, Rich!

My wife and daughter actually think that is true, so that's why I check the fluids on all our cars (even when they tell me that they've checked them).

Btw, I am a bit ashamed to say that we do own non AC cars as well..

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Please ask in the appropriate newsgroup. I.e. the WATERcooled group. We are aircooled.

Go to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Wifey has water in hers, and yes - I have to check its topped up.

oooh - I was just about to say all mine are air cooled - then I remembered I bought that land rover ! It'll have to go !

Rich

Reply to
tricky