VW Type2 Westfailia, 1st time buyer help

Howdy,

I am looking to find a Type 2, 73-79 to restore, (not looking to do total frame off back to original, but looking to make one look good (like new) and be able to do cross country trips

I guess Im not looking for too much now am I?

Need to find something that has a decent body (I can do new doors, skins etc but want a good starting base), and a decent motor. Don't mind rebuilding it and for reliability would do so anyways.

So that being said, I have been popping my head in here for a few months, along with samba, type2.com etc...

I have seen alot of info about generally buying a used car, but not too much specific to westys...

What should I be looking for? For example on a 4x4 toyota you look for hub replacements/damage which is BIG $$, rust on grease spigots (means they havent been lube'd properly)... etc

Is there anything to look for specifically? Anything that you would not want to have to do over in a restore?

What am I looking for as a sign that the bus is more headache then it's worth.

any info would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Tyson

Reply to
Tyson James

Aside from body rust issues, the most expensive things are: engine engine engine

followed by: tranny ball joints steering gear box

Most campers have gone loads of miles. If the engine is original and has >150K miles, it's going to need expensive work ('73-79 are all Type 4). Not a deal-killer; just plan on it.

Trannys go 200K miles (or more) and the front ends are pretty robust. But they're items you want to look at closely.

Don't forget to add in a set of expensive tires in your calcs.

I would look for a rust-free southern/western Bus. Rebuilding the sheet metal on a Bus could be a lifetime project. Even a seemingly simple job like rust under the windshield can turn into months of thankless labor. I'd rather be out roaming the countryside...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Sorry I don't have time for my normal 2MB reply! (You can e-mail me if you wish) '76 and later had the bigger stronger transaxle '78 & '79 are most common due to production levels, both are 2 liter with hydraulic lifters '79 heads are "same" as '80-'81-'82 Vanagon but exhaust system is single year (including rare heat exchangers) L-Jetronic fuel injection - quite reliable especially on '78 & '79 ('76 and earlier had different system) Look for signs of rust along rocker panels. Be sure door rolls smoothly (no up/down waves) There will be rust at the battery platform and under all the widow rubber bottom (like a shelf) Plan on engine top end rebuild (hard to destroy the bottom end of these motors as long as oil was changed regularly) Oil cooler plugs up with mouse nesting material or squirrel food stashes or bugs nests or just plain road dust with a leaking oil pressure light sending unit above. When that happens, most of the air to #3 cylinder for cooling gets cut off as well as the oil running way hotter. Not uncommon for major valve work on #3 cyl head. With more Vanagons hitting the wrecking yards, '79 compatible heads are more available than before. T-4 engines are more expensive to work on but stand up to a lot of abuse. If everything is "perfect" you'll still need to plan on replacing every "rubber" line in the fuel loop and every rubber part in the brake system. Wheel bearings shouldn't be shot but will need repacking (fronts) Rears are a bit more trouble but go forever. Rear end sag is fairly easy to adjust out and replace the rubber suspension parts at the same time. MUST run load range "C" tires (6-ply rating). Pass car tires can't handle the cantilevered load on back and fronts need to match backs for handling.

Lots and lots of other things... Look for good body and "almost dead" engine. The engines are expensive enough to rebuild that lots of people who love their buses just can't afford to keep them - find one that has been meticulously maintained and plan on rebuilding the engine.

Don't expect to be able to drive it like a modern mini-van. It will surprise you how fun it is to drive as long as you stay on IT's terms. Even a perfect

2 liter engine is barely holding its own with todays gasoline (92 octane or up ONLY!) If you have to drive like a maniac or freeway drive at 70 & up you'll need to do some re-thinking cuz it won't hold up.

Anything else? -BaH

"Tyson James" wrote in message news:fbCdnaBmv snipped-for-privacy@golden.net...

Reply to
Busahaulic