VWs in California?

What visual? Can't say my car ever required a visual smog inspection, nor a sniffer. I bought it 3 years ago and wasn't off the road. No inspection was ever requested (at least up here in northern cali).

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Most mechanics don't know what to look for and don't want to be bothered. If it looks like everything is there and in place, and the thing isn't belching smoke, you're good to go.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I think this is most of the incentive for the rolling 30 year limit. The techs don't know anymore or have it in their computers. Quick visual and not belching forth clouds of crud - collect their fee and get onto the next customer that they can gouge for all those mandatory repairs.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Thanks for clearing this up. Again, a bonus as it means you can buy a basic car to get around and not worry about the smog check then insurance then registering nonsense - you just take it to your local Auto Club office (you ARE a member with such an old car, aren't you?) and get them to do insurance and registration in one stop. $50-$100 later and you're good to go.

Q: I read the California DMV site and it wasn't clear - they said it was based upon calendar date and not model date on one area and model date on the other.

Let's say it's oh - roughly two weeks from now - Jan, 1, 2004.

Q: All 1974 model cars are exempt. Check. Are all 1975 exempt as well or only the ones sold during 1974 when the new model came out?. It appears as if this is the case, but the DMV's site isn't clear on this.

I'm interested as I'm looking for a Bug but also a 1975 Volvo 164E(last year made) and need to know if it is all 1975s that are okay, or just the ones sold in 1974.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Can't you read? NO TEST for a 71 period!! Larry Hill

Reply to
Larry Hill

Both posts were by the same person (me). Yes, it's a 71 bus with a 1776 in it. I first asked about ANTI SMOG EQUIPMENT for a 71. The response was that 73 and under were exempt (assuming to anti-smog equipment) and had to remain stock. Next I asked if ANY emissions tests were done to

73 and below. Thanks for the info.

Tom

Reply to
Vic20Owner

If you're running an auction, sounds to me like you're acting as a broker between used car dealers. For those that don't know, that's where your Grand Am goes after you trade it in for a new LeSabre. It ain't no EBay.

Dealers (and probably brokers) operate under a totally different set of rules. I think you need a dealer's license if you sell 3 (or 5?) cars in any given year.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in what the rules are, read section 44011 of California's Health and Safety code.

go ask the DMV since they are the interpreters/enforcers of that section of code.

Or, believe what you read on the internet from some used car salesman. ;-)

-Rob

ANT wrote:

Reply to
Rob J

Yes, unfortunately I read this line just fine: "When I lived in SoCal in

1989, I had to put the vacuum distributor back on in order to pass the smog inspection on my '69."

Ok, so my 71 is exempt these days.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Vic20Owner

..................ANT has posted in the past that he is licensed in California to perform emissions testing.........I think.

..................I'd be surprised if a dealer in any state was permitted (under state law) to pass any car that doesn't meet the mandated standards that private owners are required to meet.

Then, go ask the DMV since they are the interpreters/enforcers of that> section of code.

.................Let the flames begin!...............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Yes they do, those machines know exactly what what your car is... paid for. Those machines will say, that you need to junk your car, and buy a new one. What do you think the smog program is about. Twisting your arm, and breaking John Muir's "forever car" theory.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

No, you need to cut a vacume canister off a dead dist, and screw it to your 009. Then run a vacume line to the carb. Make sure you are not adding any vacume leaks.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

Wait just a second... Last week you were a paving contractor, and the week before that you were a Gynecologist.... At least that's what you told ... never mind ... :o

Reply to
Michael Kelly

The Gynecologist gig is strictly for recreation and not really a job that he get paid for. :o)

Bill Berckman Ramva 24 hour VW Chat New Years Eve.

VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures

Bill Berckman

I ran a PUBLIC car auction. That means we sold cars to the general public. We received these as charitable donations.

Am not a smog inspector but work closely with them and have a pretty good knowledge of the way the system works.

Anyone who lives in the real world will recognize the fact that the typical bureaucracy's regulations may state one thing but they actually operate in a different manner. That is the Calif DMV in a nutshell. Ask 2 DMV employees the same question and get 5 different answers.

Don't believe me, doesn't matter to me. I told you what happens in the real world. Seems you're going out of your way to prove me wrong. If you want to argue about this and that according to some website go right ahead. You'll be the knucklehead stuck at DMV arguing some arcane point and getting nowhere.

-ANT

Stop that. To reply change my ISP to @hotmail.com

Then, go ask the DMV since they are the interpreters/enforcers of that> section of code.

Reply to
ANT

Everyone needs a hobby.

Randy

RSMEINER

At least he hasn't blown his amatuer status.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton