warning lights blows fuse

I have a 72 super beetle and I wondered why every time i turned the switch it blew a fuse. So I found out the it was the wire from the warning lights that connect to the fuse box so i disconected that wire from the fuse box and the turned the key and it didnt blow the fuse so now i know what problem is but i dont know how to fix it. Please help

Reply to
gbug89

Ignition sw ?

it blew a fuse.

Which fuse ?

So I found out the it was the wire from the

Is this the OIL/GEN/TURN lights ??

that connect to the fuse box so i disconected that wire

If that is a skinny Blk wire, it should also feed the fuel gauge. Did the gauge go to EMPTY when the fuse blew?

I'd be surprised if the 3 lights were the cause of the fuse blowing, but a short in the gauge or "vibrator" is possible.

There is a fuel gauge article on my web site.

and the turned the key and it didnt blow the fuse so

You can download a diagram for your year here:

Get this one:

1972 1300 and 1302 USA de Y

If you are still stuck, e-mail me.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

i disconected the little black and bright green wire on the fuse box its the first fuse on the left. Also the oil light and the gen light doesnt come on at the turn of the key, but when I turn the car on the gen light comes one only when i rev it.

Reply to
gbug89

Put the Green back on and see if fuse blows. That will help isolate the problem.

Thin Blk feeds the OIL/GEN/TURN lights AND the fuel gauge. Removing the Blk is why the lights don't some on. But the GEN light will come on as the generator starts charging, so that part is normal.

Find out whether it is the Blk or Grn blowing the fuse.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

fixed the problem, but the oil light doesn't come on i grounded that wire and the light came on so theres something wrong with the oil switch.

Reply to
gbug89

Good sleuthing! Yes, replace the switch.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

thanks jim for your help