Water Cooled Air Conditioning

I just ran across a listing for two water cooled 6v air conditioners. Were these units available from the dealer? The listing says they can be converted to 12v. Has anyone done this with success?

If you are curious about what they look like go to

Pictures of the two units are available on that page.

Reply to
JavaHand

They are called Swamp Coolers. They work by passing air through wet straw mats. The air's heat energy is left in the water, and you get nice, cool damp air. They ONLY work in very low humidity situations. (I used to live in the New Mexico high-plains desert where they were super cool.)

You can get simpler units that do not require any electricity. They look like a jet engine hanging on your passenger side window. I have one, and can't use it here in Minnesota. It's not dry enough.

Reply to
jjs

These units are located in the Texas Panhandle so they must work in that climate (not being far from NM).

Still, were these things offered by dealers, are they a VW product, or were they after market accessories?

Reply to
JavaHand

Reply to
WES PEARSON

Your dad must have known my dad. I remember the same desert-crossing gear: the torpedo-shaped swamp cooler that he hung outside Mom's window, the leaky canvas bag of water slung across the front grille. And the horrible tedium: the hours of sitting in the back seat with my two brothers, hot and irritable, squirming and complaining, and staring out at sun-blasted desolation broken only by occasional stops at service stations for gas, pee breaks, and the opportunity to buy "Western" souvenirs, like rubber tomahawks and cheesy bow-and-arrow sets that were broken only minutes after the little patch of civilization had vanished in Dad's rear-view mirror. I reckon it was Route 66 we were on, traveling from Oklahoma to California, just like my Dad's Okie predecessors had done thirty years before.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Wow. And your dad was...John Steinbeck?

Reply to
cloud8

Nah, but he came out to CA from OK prior to joining the Navy for WWII. Many Okies -- and other folks looking for a better life -- came out during the Great Depression and to get away from the ravages of the Dust Bowl -- an annual football game that brought more stupid fat tourists with paint on their faces than was tolerable. Most of the locals either hid out at home for the duration and listened to the game on the radio, or just went away to visit relatives. The Joad family could have been my father's folks. Except they didn't come to California during the Depression. They stayed in Oklahoma. Thus my memories of riding in Dad's car across the Great Basin (only distantly related to the Great Depression) during summer with my brothers. We were going back to Oklahoma to visit Grampa and Gramma Squirrel.

Okay - next question?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

... The Joad family could have been my

Yes she said yes earth mother passing the wheat cake from her mouth and rolling over she switched off the green light at the end of the dock yes!

No further questions.

Bill, trampling out the vintage Arlington, Mass. '70 Convertible

Reply to
cloud8

Ah. You understand. Good. Very, very good. The meeting is at 9.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Don't forget, it's at 9 and 3 between the Blue Elephant and the green eggs and ham. Oh, and Mike... the goose has birthed the 9 kittens. Rodger dodger daddy badger. Over and out.

"So tonight I'll ask the stars above, how did I ever win your love? What did I do? What did I say to turn your angel eyes my way?"

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Reply to
cloud8

Yes.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

What? Oh for crying out loud -- you missed the point entirely, Kidd! We weren't talking about "feelings" at all!

Women . . . sheesh.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

And if you knew me any better, you dolt, you'd realize neither was I! But NOW is a different story. Alienation, sexism, disappointment.... I could go on but I'll spare you. Just call me Rudolph. :(

*cries*

"So tonight I'll ask the stars above, how did I ever win your love? What did I do? What did I say to turn your angel eyes my way?"

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Aw jeepers, I didn't mean . . . I was just . . . hey - stop that! Aw, c'mon, stop crying, will ya? We was just kidding around! Aw, darn it . . . I'm sorry!