Weber and Electric Fuel pump

A question for all the buddying IDF40 owners out there???

Who is running theirs with an electric pump who is running theirs with a mechanical, i currently have a mechanical pump and have long had problems getting the best out of the weber, not saying its bad but not perfect..... What has been solved with the electric pump, can i expect it to be a lot better? tell me (everyone) your stories... im interested in changing over to electric but am turned off by the noise? additional electrical things to have cause problems? safety of lossing a line and covering engine in fuel? etc etc etc.... should i run another line (return line) if i run an electric pump so it doesnt 'jam?' and can keep pumping when the engine is not consuming?

Dan __________________________________________________________________ Daniel Crocker ICQ#: 169171 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me __________________________________________________________________

Reply to
Daniel Crocker

Is this a single carb setup? If it is, I'd say the problem is more likely the manifold design and tuning. For street use that's _generally_ not a good setup. Are you having hesitation or low-end response problems?

If it's duals, then an electric pump is a good thing.

can advise. I use their electric rotary for dual 44mm Webers. It maintains a good 3 pounds of pressure to keep the carbs very happy. Electrics? It's only one wire and a ground and should be set up to go on with the accessory position. Noise? Mine was quiet, but I made it even more quiet by wrapping it in sealed-cell aircraft insulation. I can hardly hear it with the engine off. Location? Up front! I put mine on the 'shelf' beside the right wheel - the area corresponding to the location of the master cylinder on the left. You must run a fuel filter between the tank and pump. One was provided with my pump, but I added another large filter at the rear. (why not?). No return line is necessary because it maintains an even 3 pounds. Now I did run all new line and overdid it in that respect (3/8" annealed aluminum line inside fuel-rated flexible line, Russell hard-line adapters, etc) but that's a different subject.

Reply to
J Stafford

Ditto on the above for myself. The rotary vane types are very quiet. Get the 3.5 lbs one for a weber. From what I've heard webers are very sensitive to over pressure and the stock mechanical pump could be over doing it. Mine was.

David Gravereaux

That's something I still don't have in my engine and a valid concern. Usually, a relay is put across the oil pressure idiot light so the pump is off with no oil pressure.

Until I nail my 'oil light blinks @ idle when engine very hot' problem, I can't add such a circuit unless it had some hysteresis (debounce) in it as in 'if dead oil pressure, not bouncy for 5 seconds, kill pump and default to on for power-up'.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

What model? I see $61

David Gravereaux

My memory was faulty. The part was a genuine Ford part.

Here's the switch information:

Ford Fuel Pump Cut-off Inertia Switch.

Part number: F5AZ 9341-A or XF3Z 9341-AA (either number should get you the same part. Start with the F5... number)

Local Dealer Price: $12.90

This info is from 2 years ago, so you can expect the price to have risen a bit. OTOH, I would expect NAPA to have something similar at a price better than 5x the OE price.

-

Jim Adney