weird battery problem FYI ---kinda long

my son's non-vw car developed a battery problem this week. battery went dead, so we checked the voltage while cranking and it dropped to about 4 volts.

well, battery has given up the ghost. so he replaces the battery, after charging and it goes dead in about half an hour. charge it up again, car starts and goes dead again.

now, we are pulling fuses and checking for voltage across the fuse base for a voltage draw. came up with nothing of importance. during this testing he notices that the interior lights dimmed to nothing. now i'm thinking that there is a big draw to ground, but through a load, without frying any wires. if the alternater went bad, AND shorted to ground, that would explain the large, yet regulated draw on the battery. remove the alternater and have it tested, it's bad. replace it, problem goes away. the alternater must have fried, gone to ground through the windings which gave it a "controlled" short on the battery. this is what i figgered must have happened.

anyone have a better explanation?????

Reply to
bob

Internal regulator gave up the ghost??

J.

Reply to
BergRace

Battery cable shorting out ?

Randy

RSMEINER

all your base are belong to us?

Reply to
Exille

nah, no cables at all shorting. the problem seemed to be isolated to the alt.. runs just fine now. never had an alt. go bad like that. and i have changed quite a few over the years.

Reply to
bob

"> Internal regulator gave up the ghost??

more than likely.

Reply to
bob