Welders, what to get?

Hi ramva!

I finally sold the SUV, mainly to finance Freddie's restoration (I'll miss it). Anyways, it was not being used that much. Now I think it's time to buy a welder, and since I'm new to this, I need your guidance. What kind of welder should I get? what's the difference between a MIG and an ARC welder? I'll be using this to work on my bugs and a couple of friends'. There are lots of sizes, and a few kinds. is there one that fits all jobs? Is there a website where I can learn about welding?

Thanks for your wisdom. Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Howdy.

The short answer for what you need is a MIG welder with gas.

You can commonly buy very good used welders from welding and/or mechanical shops... ask around. Parts for welders are common and many times not specific to welder manufacturers.

You may need to ask some local people about individual suggestions depending on your local utilities and available manufacturers.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

Hey Karls, I'm also going to get into welding parts of my bug, and I'm completely newbie to it. We should share info and internet resources. For the moment I plan to read some manual and rent one to try the stuff.

Ant

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I'm ordering a book from Amazon called "the welder's handbook". Looks like a simple and step by step book to get into it. As soon as It get's here I'll tell you if it's any good.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

What's the difference between an Arc and a Mig welder? there seems to be two different kinds of mig welders, gas and no gas, is that important?

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Hey Ant, I found out the difference, arc welders only use a stick to strike the arc. And mig welders also use a gas (mainly argon) to heat the surface and make a cleaner weld, with no carbon deposits. Also, AC/DC are better since you can weld magnetic surfaces (AC) or very thin metals (DC). When using DC you get a cleaner weld (if done correctly). One more thing, mig welders are a more expensive.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

There is true MIG (with shielding gas) and flux core welding that a lot of mfg's call MIG. Flux core doesn't require gas because it has stuff in the middle to shield the weld but it causes a lot of spatter. Go with the true MIG if you can spare the extra cash. You get a lot better results and a lot less clean up.

I have an ox-acetylene torch and a MIG but no TIG ... yet :)

MIG is great for filling holes and quick patches. Torch is what I use for knitting body panels and is still what I reach for first.

good pointers here ...

knt

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
knt

Yeah, I've used an arc welder some times, and it isn't easy, but the electrode tends to stick to the metal very often (probably I was doing wrong), and the weld is dirtier than mig. They are also way cheaper :( I think I'll try 1st an arc welder on my bug, I'll let you know how it's going.

Ant

Karls Vladimir Pena wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Don't, the arc welders are totally useless on car metal work. You need to be a pro to be able to get anything done with thin sheetmetal, and if you were a pro, you'd buy a mig and never even bother putzin around with the arc welder. They are meant for MUCH more crude work with heavier gauge metals.

Get a Mig with gas. 160Amp minimum. This based on 15 years of experience in welding parts and sheetmetals found on cars.

Jan

Ant wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Mig with gas,but I would take a high school or college welding course before i buy anything. If you have the money buy a TIG outfit,mig and gas(torch)...Good Luck! Larry Hill

Reply to
Larry Hill

i agree - arc is useless on car body sheet metal... i have had good results with my MIG... although i havent tried it with gas yet. i use the flux core... yeah i know i get bird doo-doo welds (lots of splatter), but i clean them up with a grinder. my welder bought for under $400 it came with the hoses and regulator a spool of MIG and a spool of flux core and a cheezy face shield, i just need to get a bottle of gas.

it also helps to get one that you can vary the temp for different thickness of metal, or else you can blow a hole in your panel! not that I have done that...lol but learning how to weld isnt that hard... i practiced on an old fender then i replaced floor pans and a heater channel, also I have welded numerous other things... trailer light brackets, welded a safe door latch, fixed a kids bike frame, welded a bumper bracket for my van, put flanges on my headers/heaterboxes
... so it does have endless uses, and you get more into making your own metal projects just so you can weld!!

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Thier Territory."****************************************************************
Reply to
dragenwagen

Ok, I'll listen to you. I found that in a hardware store nearby they rent mig welders, so I think I'll rent one coming weekend and practice and experiment on an old bicicle frame. Can anybody tell me what are the no-nos when mig welding?

Ant

dragenwagen wrote in this friggin' newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

Along the same lines, I have a couple of TOTAL newbie/never welded questions about MIG welding ... Can you touch the metal surface (through your leather glove) with the hand that's not holding the welding tip? Does the welding wire (that's sticking out of the 'gun') touch the surface, or ride above?

I'm very anxious to try it, and have ordered newbie books online. I'm still perusing the local city colleges for beginning welding classes.

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

splatter is HOT! interiors materials are flammable.

keep a fire extibguisher close by. dont weld around combustable materials... paint, solvents, fabrics etc... stuff you just welded together is HOT! clean metal welds better rust pops and you burn holes thru the panel the light emmited from welding is bright. dont weld around small children, they want to look at the light and it can damage your eyesight welding with the cheezy face shield ... I ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION (goggles) sometimes the wire will stick to the piece being welded, just "bump" the trigger and pull away clean up welds if using flux core or you'll be sorry later when it corrodes and the paint pops off... try not to breathe the fumes weld in a well ventilated area... not in the garage... lol you could burn it down with your project. yes i have caught an oily rag on fire as well as undercoating - dry grass and leaves will catch pretty quickly also it takes practice and there are plenty of do's and don'ts even though its not hard to weld.

i basically taught myself to use a MIG, however i have also taken 2 body shop classes at a vo-tech school...years ago (the basic and the advanced) which included using a gas torch, repairs, prep and painting

good luck and dont be afraid to ask if you have a question... there are lots of people here with experience to answer...

good luck and be safe!

--

Reply to
dragenwagen

Buy a welder and practise. I would get a auto darkening helmet. I love mine and wouldn't want to go back to the old one...EVER

Larry Hill

Reply to
Larry Hill

Reply to