Well...I've had it with the ******* 009 dizzy!

Ok. I hate the stumble and/or hesitation. It never goes away. You know what? I finally realized that the concept of the 009 mechanical advance is completely wrong for the kind of driving most people do in a STOCK bug. I can understand how it might work in a race engine that spends most of its time at above 3000 RPM. My engine is not a race engine, nor will it ever be. How can I get the spark to advance the second I put my foot down? Wait for the engine to speed up? Endure the stumble and hesitations?! Hell no! Forget that. I want vacuum advance again! Should I spring for the AC.net SVDA dizzy? I'm just tired of tuning my engine every couple of weekends trying to find that sweet spot...and never exactly finding it becuase the darn dizzy wasn't DESIGNED for the engine! Well, I had to learn the hard way didn't I. I thought the 009 was better becuase it was new, and becuase it had no vacuum hoses. I ignored all the facts. And then it hit me. I'm an idiot! Well actually, that hit a while back...but I should've realized sooner that the 009 is the wrong concept for a stock engine. Well...lessons hard learned stick the most! ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

..................Well done grasshopper, you're now ready to leave the temple.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Well if the engine is otherwise stock, you will LOVE the SVDA.

But what people don't realize is that the 009 practically never works optimally right out o fthe box. It needs to be tweaked for any engine you need to use it in. They ARE adjustable... The carb could use some tweaks too, slight jet changes etc.

It's pretty much trial and error and takes some time, and if you don't know what you are doing you would be better off with a stock distributor. It will STILL perform better overall in a stock engine.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Reply to
Ilambert

All I can say is AMEN!!! I tried and tried to make the 009 work as well in my daily driver as a stock unit.. I came close but could never totally eliminate slight hesitation at low end. Finally went back to the original and am a happy camper.. Of course this is only what I experienced. Individual mileage may vary!

By the way I do have a 009 with less than 20 hours on it for sale cheap :-)

Reply to
Bald Guy

how cheap?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

With the aid of my lovely lab assistant, the androgynously-named but incredibly estrogen-saturated Inge, I will be installing an SVDA into the Wonderbus in a week or so. The low-end hesitation doesn't bother me all that much, but the claimed lower head temp, and the claimed better mileage have both caught my attention. This thing is a pig right now, giving me 19mpg during my daily drive.

I've got dual Kadrons, so I'm getting a replacement throttle body with a vac port from John at Aircooled.net. I figure if I can install it without any major fires, and get it tweaked, then anyone can do it.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Good call. My opinion is that the biggest advantages of the 009 is that (1) the cost is reasonable (2) it's available, and (3) it will work - sort of - in our trusty air-cooled four bangers. Better that then the only other options being to try and restore a stock dizzy or pay the bend over price of the SVDA unit. (And I do not seem to be able to find those stock dizzy rebuild kits that use to be available).

Having experimented with both 009 and vacuum advance, a bug with a mostly stock 1600dp engine prefers the vacuum advance for in-town driving. Although at highway speeds the engine seems somewhat more responsive with the 009. YMMV.

Reply to
Luft Gek?hlt

Are you running two springs or one? And if one, which one?

Reply to
jjs

but we have SVDA models for Kadrons, ICTs, and even Dual IDF Webers now too (and have had them for a couple years)

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Reply to
Anthony

I have a hard time calling the 009 a performance part. I think it's primary benefits were to the manufacturer (cheap to produce) and the mechanic (not much to adjust == a quick install). It only became a "performance piece" in order to sell it to the public.

Just my $.02 .

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Excellent. I'm considering this approach for my 1776 / Kadrons (now under construction) and am very curious as to how much vacuum that port on the Kadron generates. I've measured up to 15" from my stock 34pict3 / 1600.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

an SVDA is $130, but you recoup that quickly since you get 3-4mpg better.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

distributor.

Reply to
John Connolly

Reply to
Ilambert

That's what they say! But John -- did you receive my online order for this puppy? I placed it a few days ago, along with some other bits, and followed up with an e-mail adding more bits. Never received a confirmation. Order 0111200449673536

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Have you also put in an electronic timer? That helps a lot.

Reply to
CC

Not really. They are adjustable too, just like the 009. Even more so with the vacuum unit there.

But if your carburators don't have vacuum ports, then the SVDA can't be used. (Well you still can, but it would require disabling the vacuum unit and tweaking it to work as an 009, so what's the point).

Also, with high performance cams and other engine modifications, the vacuum signal changes. It may be totally wrong for the distributor as-is. Add to this double carbs, with only one or even multiple, up to FOUR vacuum ports. What to do, oh what to do??? The singal would be very funky no matter what you do, and thus would again require some tweaks to the SVDA. JOhn at aircooled.net says they have a solution for this. I'd ask him for detaisl if this was your case. (High perf engine with non-stock carb, and desire to use the SVDA)

BTW, I have modified a stock SVDA by replacing teh vacuum canister with an adjusteble vacuum can from a 76 Skoda... ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I don't have any way to measure vacuum, but from what I read and have been told, one K-dawg pulls enough vac to operate the advance on an SVDA.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Electronic timer?! You mean like a capacitive discharge system? I've thought about it, but they are very expensive. Or do you mean something like a Pertronix ignitor? Thought about that too, but I'd rather just change the dizzy.

Reply to
Anthony