What about wheel offset?

Thank you all for your answers on the previous post about the aspect ratio on a stock tire. Do you have any idea on the offset of the stock 4.5" x 15" wheel?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

it varied by year and type....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

OK, let's say '68 German bug

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

now you've gone too far...LOL..i can't help with offsets but i can offer the info that there were several different offsets........i bet Scott H has a link to something that will help...just give him time to come along....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

LOL....ok, let's just sit and wait for Scott.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

My wheels page link is dead. :-(

This was a great page that listed all the sizes and offsets on the different types down through the years:

but the page has been down for quite a while now and I haven't foundanother link yet with that same information. I've emailed them to see if the page will be back up again.

Ahhh ... wait a minute .... I was able to find the pages at archive.org.

4-lug:
Looks like your '68 should be 4Jx15 with a 40mm offset.

hth

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

5-lug:

i knew you would have something Scott....thanks for what you do for the folks here....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

> 5-lug:

Thanks for the kind words. The few links I provide once in a while are nothing compared to the technical advise that you and others here freely give.

Going to Farmington tomorrow?

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

technical advise that you and others here freely give.

thanks Scott.....No i'm not going to Farmington, although i want to...the baby is sick...so no carshow today... on a side not, does your 1972 owner's manual cover the autostick? if so what does it say about flat towing an autostick car? thanks...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hope the little one gets well quick.

The manual does have a section on the automatic but it doesn't say anything in that section about towing the car.

There is a section on towing the car by using the towing eyes on the front and rear. All it says there is "When towing your VW place the gearshift lever in Neutral." It doesn't specifically address either transmission type.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

thanks, he is feeling better this evening....hopefully he is okay..had a touch of a fever, but has been overall happy....

anything in that section about towing the car.

thanks...there is a thread at thesamba about towing an autostick(Vwgirl is involved and needed info) and so far the 69 manual apparently says not to flat tow and someone posted the same info you are saying your manual has(his too was a 72 manual).....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yeah, I've been watching that and waiting for it to turn into the typical train wreck of a thread that seems to be Lauren's trademark. I wasn't disappointed.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Yeah, I've been watching that and waiting for it to turn into the typical train wreck of a thread that seems to be Lauren's

hehe...didn't take long, eh?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani