what do you call this part?

hi everybody!. just bought a 1979 karmann bug convertable. supposedly

26000 original miles. but i finallly noticed the odometer wasn't registering but ummmm bout one outta every 3 miles. runs great, no oil added in 400 miles. good body work. but i have since noticed that the floors are mighty rusty and the piece where the jack fits is rusted out in the front. most of the rail is solid, just about an eight inch strip in the front. back part solid and will pick up the car with the jack. my question is: what the name of that part, and is it replaceabe? where's the best place to buy one, and the floor bottoms? while i'm at it: also what kinda gas milege should i be getting. it has fuel injection. is the ac worth fixing? and my last question: why will the thing crank every time the suddenly not start (unless rolled off) when stopping? sorry for the many questions. will start paying more attention to this group since i'm an owner now...promise. thanks for you alls patience. thanks in advance.

jim

Reply to
Jim

Common problem when the plastic gear inside cracks and slips on shaft.

Do NOT use the "jack point" under the body to jack the car up. Ever... On a rusty car it is a certainty that the body will crumple eventually. You will see it in the rear qtr panel.

It's called a jack point, but just forget about replacing it. Buy a scissor jack or a mini hyd floor jack and lift the car under the rear torsion tubes or, in front, the frame head.

The floor pans are available in halves (L/R) and there are repair sections available. Replacing the pans on a vert is a *huge* job and risky.

Steady speed on hiway should give 32-35 MPG

No.

Does not compute. Plz re-phrase.

sorry for

Now, order your personal copy of the Bentley Official Manual. It covers Type 1 cars from '70 thru '79.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

but should i replace the whole rail? since it is rusty i the front? or leave her be?

i'd get somebody more mechanical than me.

i aint getting that good

sorry. the car will start every time usually. quickly. then i stop for one fill up and it will not trun over with the starter. fired right up rolling it off though. and fired right up when i got it home. (was on the expressway for 300 miles) i had a vw back in the late 60s that the did same way, and another one in the 80s that did it as well. just will not crank with the starter sometimes. not often though.

will do. i see why they acll ya speedy. thanks much. "poky" jim

Reply to
Jim

....uhh....Jim, you missed the pertinent fact that this is a convertible. That would be a convertible support rail....and yes the part is readilly available...and is replaceable, though its a bit of work. ;=-)

I'd highly reccomend getting the bug me videos covering floor pans:

and heater channel replacemen....which although you hopefully will not need to replace the channel...does show removal and installation of the support rail.

...you might just want to consider biting the bullet and get the package of videos 1-7 which will cover tune up, pulling engine, pulling transmixer, rebuilding engine, doing a brake job, as well as the floors and channels.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Good job, Gareth, and good advice to OP.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Start with basic tuneup plus a compression test.

Most likely cause is a failing ignition switch. You can jumper it at the starter like this:

(Shift in neutral!) or lift the back seat and look for the plastic splice with a Red wire and a Red/Blk. Jump that to Battery + post. If either of those tricks energizes the starter, I'd vote for Ignitionswitch. (You can unplug the switch and jumper #30 to #50 as a test also.) Changing the switch is a bit of a task though...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Regarding the pans and reinforcing rails, I just recalled this site:

He has some pretty good pics and advice, although this is on a Std vert, not a Super.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
D&LBusch