What do you think of this car??

I found this on ebay, and i really think its awesome. Im looking to buy a custom bug. What are some concerns i should have or what should i look out for? He wants $4250 and he says the rebuilt engine has 100 miles on it, im pretty sure he said no rust. Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Doesnt look too bad, but it being a Super is a complete shot down for me...:) And somebody please give the seller some freakin' spelling lessons...good grief...

Reply to
Jon

................sigh

.....................OK Justin. I'll try to leave out my personal opinions about this kind of bug and just stick to the facts along with a few opinions.

............It's not a 70.

................It is a 71 super beetle according to the VIN.

........My guess is that a chromed stock engine like that probably came from a questionable rebuilder (just a gut feeling which isn't a 'fact' but I can't help myself sometimes).

..............That sound system is beyond my area of knowledge but isn't it possible to install a similar one of your own in any bug?

........Putting 135 size tires on the rear is crazy and will result in poor driving characteristics.......that's a FACT.

................It may be in good condition overall, but I'd strongly urge you to find someone who is really knowledgeable about these cars and get them to thoroughly go over that bug. You need to find out how it was lowered (some methods are good, others are bad). The brakes and suspension (especially the front on a super) need to be checked out. Problem areas for rust need to be inspected (heater channels, inner wheel panels. front bulkhead, etc.)

..........If you've really got $4250 to spend, why don't you take your time and try to learn more about these cars and why most people really love them. If a high end sound system is a necessity, that's fine, but be sure that the car itself is really what you want.

..............My impression of this seller is that he's bad news.......just an opinion on my part. Poor language skills and a threatening disclaimer at the end of his ad along with no information about the overall condition other than new paint and rubber and.........well........I'd have a ton of questions for him if he were here in my area and I was inspecting this bug.

BTW...........check out the classifieds at

Tim Rogers

Take heart, original poster. All the comments made so far are pretty much right on target. Please look at the general market. We do know the fastination of ACVWs and simply don't want you to have a bad experience.

Reply to
J Stafford

I wis I kud spel az gud as thet POSER!

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Wuz rong wit ez spelun? Iznt e frum AMRICA? I jus wont two no hou he gotzit 3' lower. Lower dan wat? ez iq? an wear be dat stepside?

Doh - I shouldn't make fun... jus kuldnt elp it.

___> /___\ Proud Owner of a> (0\_|_/0) 1969 VW Bug> U U "Tizzy">
Reply to