What does a moderately fancy engine cost?

Hi Folks,

I haven't had a bug in years, but I'm considering a '63 Ghia convertable from a friend at work. I'd like to build a nice engine for it and started shopping for parts. Without getting too detailed, I was up to $2000 and counting. This is new case,

92mm, CW crank, heads, cam, carbs, etc. Am I missing some deals somewhere or is this the price of admission? Is there a better way to go about this? Haven't seen the car, but I trust this guy. It's been sitting and will need work, but its not a basket case either.

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Ben Boyle

$2000 sounds about right. But add in a few more dollars for Alternator, cooling shroud, used German tin (I wouldn't even waste my time trying to "adapt" taiwanese tin), full flow kit, exhaust, and a bunch of little hardware. As for using 92mm Pistons and Cylinders, I wouldn't recommend it. Either go 1776 (90.5 PCs) or 1914 (94 PC's). But not 92. Machine work for boring the case and buying the PC's are pretty much the same. It's a reliability issue.

-GE

"Hi Folks,

I haven't had a bug in years, but I'm considering a '63 Ghia convertable from a friend at work. I'd like to build a nice engine for it and started shopping for parts. Without getting too detailed, I was up to $2000 and counting. This is new case,

92mm, CW crank, heads, cam, carbs, etc. Am I missing some deals somewhere or is this the price of admission? Is there a better way to go about this? Haven't seen the car, but I trust this guy. It's been sitting and will need work, but its not a basket case either.

Thx, Chris"

Reply to
geoffers

...thats the price of admission and expect it to go up with all the incidentals before you are through. BTW I'd go with 94's over the 92's they will make more power and have thicker walls. Check out dpr for the crank... the welded cranks they offer are far better than a cheap cast. Webers have taken a very steep climb in the last year...may want to consider rebuilding used carbs of low usage. No way around it...VW's are *not* cheap toys if you want to go fast. But hell they are addictive. =-)

,,,Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

...BTW...I noticed these Scat kits which seem like a very reasonable deal for what they include...might be a good way to go....but I'll wait to hear others opinions. It seems like a hell of a good price on longblock./....some assembly required ;-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Reply to
bugman1955

...in the poerformance world you pay for what you get. The bargains aren't bargains...a well built engine with quality parts by a reputable builder will not be cheap.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on what happens. The car is really for my son, but with the $$$ needed to invest, its going to be partly mine, re-living my youth. I'll just budget enough to make something to be proud of and hope/pray he doesn't wreck it.

Anyone know one of a roll bar kit? :^)

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~