What gauge wire...

Ok, so long time no post. Been working on the house and the son's Mustang, now finally getting the opportunity to work on the Bug. Got most of the electrical issues fixed just by putting new connectors on all the wires and cleaning up the contacts, amazing what a little time and effort can accomplish:) Anyway, the wires from the wiper switch to the wiper motor are either missing or burned up. I've replaced both of them just for safety sake..now I need to know what gauge wire I should use to wire it up? The remains of the old wiring looks to be 16-18ga? I'm thinking maybe should run

12ga? Thoughts? Also, I'm thinking of different seats since the originals are shot frame-wise...any easy swaps you have done? Thank...and it is nice to see the same names are still here:)...

Sneaks...

Reply to
swenson

The wiper circuit wires are 1.0 Metric, which is equivalent to approximately

19 AWG (American Wire Gauge). Since 19 is not a commonly available size, go with 18 AWG, which gives you 1.22 Metric(thicker is better). However, if you really wanted to over-engineer it, 16 AWG will give you 1.63 Metric, 63% bigger than the original.

Reply to
Debra Chervenka

I use larger gauge, 14 for most, especially the ground wires. I use 12 ga for larger draws such as l2 volt outlets. I also usually solder instead of connectors to be sure and eliminate future corrosion and problems.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

As far as the seats go I put some 1995 Honda Civic seats in my 73 beetle. Not to hard, just had to remove the 73 and up hump on the floor and weld some 1 inch square stock as a frame base. then just weld some nuts in the front and back of the base to act as nut plates. Very sound and the adjustment is awesome. I can take some pictures if you'd like

Reply to
EuroBug

As far as the seats go I put some 1995 Honda Civic seats in my 73 beetle. Not to hard, just had to remove the 73 and up hump on the floor and weld some 1 inch square stock as a frame base. then just weld some nuts in the front and back of the base to act as nut plates. Very sound and the adjustment is awesome. I can take some pictures if you'd like

Reply to
The EuroBug