What grease to use

Hi There, what grease is suitable for greasing the distributor?

And, when I time my SVDA, I have to unhook the vacuum line. Do I have to plug the vacuum line?

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
beetle boy

Not necessary.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

When you remove the distributor rotor, you will see a felt pad on the distributor shaft. Some drops of engine oil on this pad are enough to lube the distributor cam lobes. In case you have removed the points plate to clean the centrifugal mechanism, you 'll need some high temp grease which doesn't get dry with time to lube the weights.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Hi Gerrelt Since I can't find points grease locally , I use Dielectric grease on the points rub block and cam and " GASP " Remington Dri Slide lube on the advance plate ... If the Dri slide holds up under the abuse a auto loading gun dishes out it can't be all that bad : )

sidewinder

Reply to
sidewinder

What part of the distributor?

I stock a Bosch grease which is great for the dist cams.

-

Jim Adney

No, while a few drops of oil on that felt is certainly a good thing for everyone to do, it doesn't lube the dist cam. It lubes the junction between the two shafts of the mechanical advance.

Did you know that grease is just oil mixed with a thickener? All grease "gets dry" with time. That's actually how it lubricates (by slowly dispensing oil.)

-

Jim Adney