What IS all that stuff?

Just climbed under my '71 bus for the first time ever, to take a look around. Keep in mind that I am not an auto mechanic. My goodness, what a lot of mysterious cables, hawsers, levers, ducts, rods, pulleys, wires, struts, girders, steam lines, power mains, drainage ditches, airfoils, and linkages there are down there!!!

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of one of these cars with parts labeled?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Ha - look under the hood of a recent one with all the EPA mandated stuff and Fuel Injection --- you'll be hard pressed to see the sparkplug and even the engine block.

Get a Bentley of Hayes manual --- its pretty good at showing the various parts.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I got the Bentley. I can't find a picture of what a bus looks like rolled onto its back with all its goodies exposed. Just what the parts look like when they are off the vehicle.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I've got a few pix, but it's awfully hard to take pix underneath - there's very limited clearance! How about YOU roll your bus over on it's side, take a good set of pix, and we'll tell you waht all the parts are! Seriously, I have a good series of pix, but no way to raise the bus high enough to get any range. I suggest you make some wooden half-circles and, using padding against the side of the bus, gently roll it over and take the pix. I'll gladly trade you my entire series for just those few (plus some overviews of the operation!)

-- Dave "Busahaulic" Pears>

EPA mandated stuff and

sparkplug and even the

showing the various

looks like

what the parts

Reply to
Busahaulic

Yeah right. I know my limitations, and rolling a bus on its side on some kind of wooden rollors not only exceeds my carpentry skills but requires more luck than I usually have not to mash the poor bus.

I was hoping that someone who routinely got under buses, like, oh, I don't know -- Volkswagen, maybe? might have taken a picture like:

and pasted some labels on it.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Bookmark this site:

Grab a 6-pack and plan to spend an evening perusing. For now, click on "Library". Then "Miscellany". Then look for:

"Bay Cable Conduit Routing by Mike Howles"

No photos but he tries to show the function of what's under there.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Now yer talkin'.

Is that a Brit VW with right-hand driver's position?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Yes, I believe he is a Brit. Hold the drawing up to a mirror for US readers. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thought so. He has a few shots looking forward and lo-and-behold: the throttle cable seems to be coming from the right hand side of the vehicle. "Picture mirrored?" I wondered. But nope -- you can see the license place of another car right in front of his bus. Not mirrored, but looks very British.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

well, you know, there is always the possibility that someone out there may have access to some sort of lifting device which some mechanics may use to make it easier to work beneath cars. If there are such devices out there and someone with a VW has been able to lift a bus on them, there could actually be photos taken of the underside of a VW bus without said bus necessarily having been sitting on its side at the time. Admittedly, the sides would be obscured by the lift, but the bulk of the underside would presumably be visible.

just a thought

Reply to
mez

"mez" wrote

Something like this?:

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

by jiminy! I was thinking of the sort one drives onto, but that device looks pretty keen. Probably more than I can afford at the moment, though. I see that the underside of a split bus is much simpler than the underside of a bay - and did those things not have heat to the front?

Reply to
mez

I would be scared to death working on any car sitting on one of those.

That thing looks like a stiff breeze would send it crashing down.

Reply to
Seth Graham