What is 'old' to you?

Forgive me, but when I read that someone wants to restore a seventy-something Bug I get flashes of "Why bother?" and I think of things like when was last time I cleaned the fridge.

But Old is different to different people. To me, a Split-window Bug is 'old'.

So, what do you consider Old - in terms of worthwhile 'restoration'?

Reply to
jjs

Ben Boyle

Well, I'm always either on a budget or trying to keep this hobby within the limits of sanity, therefore all european beetles are "old" by definition, and therefore worth restoring without becoming poor. My super is from 72, the oldest vehicule I've ever own, and I believe it is already quite old (almost as much as me!).

I think it also has to do with the economical posibilities of the bugnuts, many people cannot simply afford a split-window, so they have to be happy with the oldest things they can afford.

And why bother restoring a 70something bug? well, in 10 years we'll all be happy that some people took the effort of restoring those "uninteresting" bugs, the same as we are glad now that in the 70's somebody restored some

50's split-windows that are still alive and kicking.

This also has to do with the "why do you like beetles?" question. Is it only because they are old? or something else? is it because their simple yet brilliant design? their mechanics? the concept? their cuteness? If you like them only because their age, then forgert about the 70's, but if there is something else then 70's bugs also have it!

ant

jjs wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I'd say a -66 T1 1500 with front disks, old style hubcaps slanted headlights and 6V electrics would be the latest I would consider for an restauration job, I would however not mind a later one to keep in good original condition. My late favorite is the 1300S, late 1200 body style, "flat" windscreen, swing axle, 1600 and front disks. They where made atleast up to -74...(The fastest stock beetle produced..)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

In general, even going beyond ACVWs, my opinion is that any car that's

73 and older is 'old'. I think 74 is when lots of smog/safety/stupid_ideas began to appear on a lot of different makes and models.

Anyone care for a variable venturi carburetor?

-Rob

jjs wrote:

Reply to
Rob

Anytime you have the government interfering with some aspect of the vehicle, it becomes more of a nuisance to service/restore and in that respect, less desirable.

The Beetle is a special case...It has dedicated followers that will do almost anything for the car. The 1998 introduction of the New Beetle helped to recharge interest in the older models.

Personally, I like my '68, because it has allot of the nice touches that some of the later models had, yet it still retains those Beetle-esq. qualities, like swing axles, flat windshield and so on. At the same time, it has some of the more modern stuff, like 12-Volt electrics, collapsible steering column, folding rear bench (not sure if they all had this or not....they might have...) and so on. It comes down to a matter of personal opinion. John Henry has the crown for "old" Beetles...I mean, his collection is something to be admired. But old to me is my '68.

As the saying goes...."to each his own"...

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

to me they are all worthy of "restoration"....as far as being old...untill recently i never thought of a beetle as "old"....then my wife pointed out as i told her i wanted an earlier model bug that the one i have is older than *both* of us( i am thirty and she is quickly approaching 32).. as far as why "bother" to restore a 70-something beetle? i guess that is a personal and individual thing to figure out...i can't think of any good reasons *not* to...but that is just me...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Hello, Peter. It's been a long time. What government interference are you speaking of? I presume it's a Canadian thing.

Reply to
jjs

When the government forces pollution controls, safety items that while are good in concept and the end goal, they reduce the ease of restoration. I mean, restoring a 1968 Beetle is going to be a heck of allot easier than a '74 Beetle with EFI, and the energy absorbing bumpers....try finding parts to properly restore all of those components for the '74....

I'm not saying that these are negative items, but the do make restoration difficult.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

It's probably a California thing... Two years ago, on top of the $50 smog inspection, I was charged $20 US to "fix" the timing on my pickup, as it was about 2 degrees advanced. Except that Governor Schwartze.....whatever rolled back the tripling of the vehicle license fee, my yearly registration was $281, plus about $50 for smog fees. Now it's $240 + $50. All this just in case I might want to pull my horse trailer.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I have 3 Old mazdas. 79, 80 and 81. The 80 was teh first facelift year. The two older ones are "worth saving". You don't ever see those on the road anymore. (There's a reason for that too, haha, but still worth saving)

A 79 aircooled beetle would be one of them "New Beetles" to me ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Ahem. So is anything that was a product of 81 "old"? Watch that answer.

Kidd "Back in black. It's a fact."

Reply to
Kidd

Reply to
Sneaks

...anything with children is =-)))))

....Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Actually, EFI on the beetle didn't start until 1975 (in North America, not sure about the rest of the world). As for the bumpers, they are available new, although it wasn't too long ago that you couldn't get them new.

I'm working on restoring a 74 sunbug, and the only thing I cant find new is the bumper shocks. But, luckily my bumpers and shocks are in good shape.

In my opinion, I dont' think its going to make much of a difference restoring a 68 vs a 70's model. They are all rare now, and where I live (Edmonton, Alberta) the 70's models seem more rare in some respects. When it comes to wrecking yards, in the last few years, with the handful of beetles that have been in there, I have seen a few more 60's bugs than 70's. In all cases, none of them arrived to the wrecker complete, they were already picked over, not much left. Although, I did cut the roof off a 74 sunbug at the wrecker last June, then ironically I bought a running sunbug last month.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

Couldn't remember when EFI started...I had a feeling I was wrong with the date. Regardless...in Ontario, it seems that the 60's model Beetles are of higher demand than the '70s models.

- Peter

restoration

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I don't get the whole "tripling" thing. 240*3=720. Not 281.

The reg for my 69 bug, that was due on 11/8/03, after the

*reinstatement* of the regular fees (as opposed to calling it "a new tripling of the fee"), was $44.

Oh my god, what a disaster! Let's go recall someone! Sheesh.

Those fees go to pay for firefighters in California. No wonder half of San Diego and LA burned.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

Hi.Ya the '70s had some strange things in the name of safety.Remember seatbelt interloks?I remember trying to start a lady's car(not a vw) and after several hours it started if you sat in the seat just right.And it wouldn't start if you sat in the wrong place.Or Caddies with 4-6-8- motors,350 diesel chevys?Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Maybe I'm overly practical...

Old would be anything you need to convert to use common batteries, bulbs and radios.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead

John, why do you set yourself up for this abuse? You know "real old" when you look in the mirror. "Old" is one half your age.. I'm about the same age as you and my kids have let me in on this bit of wisdom a while back. You are an" old pharte" you know.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik