What's the best to hold carb studs in?

Hi all,

I've searched the archives of RAMVA on best solutions to hold studs in the carb body once they loosen and come out. - Especially the front stud ( toward the front of the car. I know the rear stud can be held in with a bolt and a nut) I've found a few articles (about 3) mentioning loctitie ( not sure what grade(?)), but never heard of a "report back" as to how well this works. One article mentioned inserts.

I was thinking of JB weld but whatever I use I have a concern for temperature changes

Does anyone have any input on their experience?

Thanks - though was quite surprised I did not find many discussions on this!

Matt S.

Reply to
MATT S.

medium strength locktite (blue) or equivalent should work for you. ;-)

dave

if you don't want them to ever come out on their own, and not really want to come out with your help use the "sleeve and bearing" loctite...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

You don't use either of the suggested "glues". You use a Thread insert repair kit. A Helicoil will work also, but not quite as reliable. The carb should be drilled and tapped to the correct "Thread Insert size for the correct repair. Send it to us and we can do it right. (Along with Ultrasonic cleaning of the carb for no extra charge.)

Jim SR Racing

Reply to
Jim

I agree.

Hey Jim, I might have access to ultrasonic cleaning setup, is it really worth it? Does it clean teh small passages inside the carb?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

When my engine was rebuilt, the rebuilder put a bolt through my carb. Horrible! I don't like it at all, don't do it if you can help it.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

i agree with Jim...when i suggested the loctite i was not under the impression the threads were stripped....

the OP said: "I've searched the archives of RAMVA on best solutions to hold studs in the carb body once they loosen and come out."

if "loosen and come out" means they are stripped then i withdraw my suggestion of the loctite...if they turned out while taking the nut off i stand by it...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

But even if they are, this would work: :-D

Shaggie

Thanks to those who responded; the threads don't seem stripped, and I'll give JB Weld a try, if that does not work, I'll be contacting Jim about re-doing the threads. This may be interesting Thanks

Matt S

Reply to
MATT S.

It does seem based upon his laast post that they are NOT stripped. So Loctite could be in order.

Jim SR

Reply to
Jim

They are magic. I don't know what type you have access to and/or the chemicals in use on that one. but.. But, we drop a carb (or fuel injectors, etc.) in ours and they come out like new. Great for cleaning the small orifrices and internals of the throttle pump etc.

Ours is pretty big, so we can put a full engine case in it. In 5 minutes you have a new case. Oil galleries are like new.

Jim SR

Reply to
Jim

I could get my hands on a jeweller's ultrasonic cleaner. Quite a bit smaller :)

Dirty injectors were what first got me interested in it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson