What should I paint drums with?

I just put 4 new drums on my car. Brazilian. Should I paint them? They are lighly rusting and its been only days....

If paint: what with?

thanks.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

i sandblasted mine drums and gave em 2 coats of POR15..works pretty good

Reply to
Exille

Does it work in the heat of the brakes?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

They make paint for drums and calipers. (check Pep Boys, Napa, etc)I've used it on my front calipers and rear drums. No rusting, no flaking. Be sure to clean the drums good first. Engine enamel should also work. Brakes get hot! Don't use regular paint. It will rust & flake, I'm sure you've seen people who have, they're easy to spot.

Reply to
Zarana-X

Don't follow suit and paint them the same color as your car. This is DANGEROUS! It effectively insulates the drums, and they can't cool as well. If you must paint them, flat black is the ticket. No chrome, silver, red, white, blue, green, etc. Flat black, or dark grey. Never thought of using POR-15, but I don't see why not. Also, a high tempurature paint like manifold paint or oven paint will work. I used high temp 1600 degree engine paint with ceramic to paint the hubs on my front disc brakes becuase they started rusting after the first rain. Has held up fine, after a whole winter. (yes I drive my car in the winter, at the moment it's a beater!) ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Nice.... old ones were painted white :)

I sprayed them today with something called 'nomasox' which neutralizes oxide and leaves a dull black primer. It says wait 12 hours and paint. I will paint the with high temp black paint...

thanks.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Paint them black (heat dissipation), but make sure you use a high temperature black else it will peel off with the heat and you will have to repaint them (like I did *grin*).

-- Howard Rose '66 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe '62 Austin Mini Deluxe '64 Austin Mini Super Deluxe

Howard Rose