What the hell next?

Today we (my son and I), started the Puma to time it. It ran for a few seconds and then started to hammer like a stuck lifter or rod knocking. A solid metallic knock without any warning at all which seemed to come from the drivers side of the engine. Double checked the valve adjustment and all the normal stuff. When I turned the motor by hand Craig said the rear most rocker arm seemed to not move as much as the other three so I removed the assembly to see if the push rods were ok. They seemed fine. The lifters are free so I'm going to pull the motor but I just don't get how this happens without warning. So I get into my bus to go to the store and while shifting into 3rd the shift lever pops and disengages leaving me stuck in 3rd gear. I don't get how this just happened. Someone putting pins in a doll with a lock of my hair in it and chanting evil political chants backwards????? How about it guys???????

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I hate to be encouraging, but, you know what they say, bad things happen in three's. Two down, one to go.....

Good luck,

Reply to
Mike64Bug

I just re-engined my winter Baja. 13 mpg and no strange sounds. If we trade cars, you'll have a nice fresh engine. :-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Ack. Make that 31 mpg. Whew!

Reply to
Max Welton

Thanks for the offer Max.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Dennis,

Have you been hanging around Mike "Rocket J. Squirrel" Elliot lately?

Reply to
Malcolm

Just trying to be helpful. ;-)

BTW, hope it isn't anything serious. Few years ago I broke a clip on a stock rocker assembly. Made a hell of a racket. Thought I'd thrown a rod.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

"Ve haff vays....

.... of makink you zell ze Puma!"

sorry, been up all night Greg

Reply to
Greg Smith

You aint seen nuthin yet. If only you knew all the shit that's been raining on me all year with cars.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

three's. Two down, one to go.....

Clutch cable, 10 miles from home, surface streets. Made red lights interesting. Glad I'd figured out clutchless shifting years ago.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

Today I fixed the bus shifter ( it was just loose) . A little grease, lock nuts and torque did it just fine. I got a my crated longblock out of storage for the Puma today. I pryed open the crate to look at it and it looked good. I noticed the invoice date attached and I can't believe it. I thought I had it for about 3 years or so but it is dated 1997. Man, time just gets away from me. It will be in the Puma soon if all goes right. Jan, all that stuff raining on you all those years, you must be one hell of a sinner, eh?

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

31 MPG? That's impressive! Is it a basically stock motor? I'm very close to driving my Baja on a daily basis (still need the new tires and raise the suspension) and with me buying a Toyota Tacoma that only get's 20 MPG on the highway I'd love to hear how you have yours set up so I could get a few pointers from you. TIA

Mac

Reply to
Mac

I must have had one helluva previous life.

;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hmm your last life, let me meditate on that for a moment---- yes I see you!!!

You were a plant!!!! So how could you sin?? Wait what are you doing to that poor butterfly!!! :) Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa